Senior Java Software Engineer, Mission-Driven Education Startup
EveryDay Labs · Remote
About EveryDay Labs
EveryDay Labs improves student outcomes through the power of behavioral science. How? We partner with school districts across the country to reduce absenteeism. By providing comparative and actionable data to schools and families, through our advanced behavioral science and data analytics, chronic absenteeism is reduced 10-15%.
We are passionate about making an impact on the lives of students, families, and educators.
How Can You Help?
Do you have 2 or more years of professional Java coding experience?
Hey there! We’re still a small team (4 software engineers and 4 data engineers) and we’ve got big projects on our roadmap with a steadily growing client base. Rather than push projects further into the future, we’re hoping to bring in someone (maybe you!) to help take a share of our roadmap and help us “keep the lights on” for our current products. But, we know that every job description says something like this, so let’s get down to the details we’re guessing you care most about below:
As a Senior Software Engineer at EveryDay Labs, you will:
- Write clean, extensible, well-tested code
- Collaborate on architecture, design and implementation decisions
- Engage internal stakeholders to determine requirements for new software
- Participate in code reviews
- Help our non-technical, delivery teams by building tools and automating manual processes
- As a founding member, help us keep our engineering culture fresh and robust by being yourself and introducing us to new ideas. We’re excited for how your unique strengths will push us to grow and be better!
What Are We Looking For?
- 3+ years of commercial coding experience in Java -- this excludes any internship and university course projects
- SQL (we use PostgreSQL)
- UNIX command line tool knowledge/comfort
- Git or a similar version control systems knowledge/comfort
- Strong creative problem solving/troubleshooting skills
- Collaborative and flexible; willing to teach and be taught
- Passion for mission-driven work
- We are a remote-only team, although candidates must be fully, legally eligible to work in the United States (visa sponsorship is not available)
Nice to Also Have
- Passion for education
- AWS or similar cloud computing platforms proficiency
- Modern web frameworks such as React familiarity
- Systems administration and microservices knowledge
- Docker or similar, container development tools proficiency
- Startup experience
More About EveryDay Labs
Our customers include 3 of the largest school districts in the US and many others. We are committed to iterating on our products, refining our processes, and embracing and cultivating change.
To date, we have served students across more than 2,000 schools, preventing more than 500,000 absences, equating to over 180 million minutes of instructional time they would have otherwise missed.
EveryDay Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer – including disability/vet status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are actively seeking to build a team and workplace that reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. We especially encourage people underrepresented in the tech industry to apply, and welcome your application even if you do not meet every one of the above requirements.