Conservation Data Scientist
World Wildlife Fund · Washington, DC/San Francisco, CA
Data + Analytics
EnvironmentPosted 3 weeks ago
About the jobWorld Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world’s leading conservation organizations, seeks a Conservation Data Scientist.
The Conservation Data Scientist will provide data analytics support with expert knowledge of data and GIS ranging from data acquisition, management, manipulation and presentation. They have broad experience with obtaining and processing data including spatial analysis for conservation in support of Global Science and the WWF network. They have expertise in cloud-based data management and analysis, conservation science workflows, and current data delivery mechanisms.
Key Responsibilities (80% time)
- Analysis Performs data analysis for select projects; applying advanced statistical and spatial analysis and programming as necessary to answer science questions. Works closely with scientists to deliver this.
- Data Manages, maintains and curates spatial and non-spatial databases, keeps abreast with relevant data sources, and provides data needed for analysis.
- Platforms Supports development of online platforms for data dissemination and processing.
- GIS software licensing Manages GIS software licensing and distributes software licenses to all users in the Network. Coordinates with software vendors to obtain and renew licenses and to handle support requests.
- GIS Servers and online mapping maintains GIS servers (ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS online) by keeping software up to date. Maintains knowledge of other data and analysis platforms, including cloud-based platforms, for use as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 6 to 8 years professional experience or 3 to 5 years with an advanced degree a discipline in environmental science or related field
- Significant data science or computer science expertise
- Knowledge of cloud-based technologies and machine learning approaches
- Significant experience with conservation, biodiversity or ecology projects
- Excellent organizational and project leadership skills
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a matrixed team environment
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills requiring knowing when to use courtesy, tact and/or diplomacy to effectively communicate with all constituents
- Ability to lead by persuasion, build consensus, and think creatively
- Ability to demonstrate integrity in deliverables, behavior, and demeanor
- Ability to show respect for the organization, the work, the team, and self
- Have the courage to make the hard decisions which will benefit the organization, team and work
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams. Ability to effectively prioritize and produce high-quality work under time constraints
- Identifies and aligns with the core values of the WWF organization Courage, Integrity, Respect & Collaboration
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #21069
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
- US-DC-Washington or San Francisco Bay Area preferred.