Technical Business Analyst
Center for Translational Data Science (CTDS) · Chicago, IL with some remote flexibility
The job uses best practices and knowledge to develop new and existing systems. Solves problems and anticipates evolving business requirements to identify, design, and implement appropriate process improvements, systems alternatives, and/or enhancements to current systems. The Technical Business Analyst will be responsible for understanding and meeting organizational and contractual expectations regarding business solution delivery standards, work scope management, solution quality, and client satisfaction. You will lead from a business analyst perspective from the ground up, as a communicator, liaison, and information source for the team. You will be a critical advisor for the agile development team, collaborating to deliver innovative solutions to support the research community. The Genomic Data Commons (GDC) lies at the intersection of cutting-edge research and production systems, both in terms of the bioinformatics and computer science principles being utilized. Deep technical understanding of the system and software architecture will be critical to success in this role. Additionally, you will be required to gain a working knowledge of cancer genomics to understand the use cases and requirements for the GDC. You will be empowered, decisive, communicative, business-savvy, and highly available to the team, leadership, and stakeholders.
- Work with all stakeholders to define and document the use cases and product requirements that will determine the success of the solution.
- Translate product requirements into user stories and/or technical specifications.
- Develop and write clear user stories and technical tasks in JIRA.
- Provide other documentation as needed such as API specifications, process diagrams, and other models to clarify the desired solutions.
- Work with the team leads, collaboratively using JIRA, to help prioritize stories, tasks and their dependencies to ensure a smooth agile process.
- Provide input in test plans and participate in writing test cases, test execution and defect reporting to ensure that solutions implemented meet requirements and are both of high quality and operationally sustainable.
- Self-managed approach to effectively gather and communicate project expectations in a clear and concise fashion to multiple stakeholders.
- Timely escalation of any concerns, risks and issues pertaining to business analysis.
- Support Agile project management processes as needed.
- Participate in project meetings and provide insight as appropriate.
- Documenting and reporting to project leadership and senior management.
- Has a deep understanding of business process analyses, needs assessments, and preliminary cost/benefit analyses. Solves complex problems relating to computer equipment capacity, limitations, and operation time.
- Utilizes thorough understanding of business systems and industry requirements to translate business and user needs into system requirement specifications.
- Recommends process improvements in existing applications and revises existing system logic difficulties as necessary. Designs, develops, and implements new applications, systems architecture, network systems, and applications infrastructures.
- Communicates and presents on system enhancements and/or alternatives to colleagues in IT management.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, or a related field.
- Experience in progressive technical business analysis role.
- Experience with Agile methodology.
- Experience with writing technical specifications, with a focus on full stack architecture, including REST APIs, SQL and noSQL data solutions and distributed infrastructure.
- Experience with business analysis and quality assurance professional standards, business processes, workflows, methodologies and leading practices.
- Experience leading business analysis activities while ensuring the traceability and optimum coverage of business requirements defined.
- Experience managing a backlog of requirements in an Agile workflow.
- Experience creating user stories from requirements.
- Experience working in a Linux command line environment.
- Experience in Change Management, Release Management, Incident, Project Management and working on Business Intelligence.
- Experience with HIPAA and/or FISMA security regulations.
- Experience with cancer or human genomics.
- Experience with bioinformatics.
- Experience with JIRA project tracking software.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively with technical staff, non-technical staff, all levels of management, and clients.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with outstanding problem-solving skills.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Perform business process re-engineering and transformations.
- Understand disparate functionalities arising from various business units from a technical point of view.
- Familiarity with full stack architecture, specifically SQL databases, APIs, and web development.
- Ability to generate wire-frames and flowcharts to accompany user stories or as a brainstorming aid.