ThinkShout · Remote (USA)
We’re ThinkShout, a Portland-grown digital agency and certified B Corp. While we’re based in Oregon, most of us work remotely from all over the country. We love building beautiful solutions for the organizations that inspire us, including websites for the World Resources Institute, Demos and Freedom House. Our team brings exceptional web development, design, UX and strategy skills to the work we do on both new and existing sites.
Our culture encourages growth, doing the right thing, and collaborating with the team to make good solutions into great ones. This is a place where you’ll find interesting puzzles to solve and a team that cares about building the right thing.
We work primarily with nonprofits, and use technology to create positive impact locally, nationally and around the world. We take pride in the work we do, and care about the people impacted by the things we build.
Check out what some members of our Dev team have to say about working at ThinkShout: http://bit.ly/TSdevteam
We’re looking for someone who can both write senior-level code and partner with three other seasoned managers to guide a growing team.
- Are experienced web developers who imagine and implement solutions to meet clients’ needs. They can specialize in front-end, back-end, or full-stack development
- Are excellent communicators, working closely with developers, technical architects, designers, project managers, and our clients
- Support their teams by digging in to understand where processes can improve
- Are servant leaders with a kind, curious and mature approach to management and communication
- Grow community and trust on a distributed team
- Have an eye for systems and technical craftsmanship
- Create practical technical solutions to real-world problems
- 2 years of management experience
- Experience with remote web development, clear communication and a commitment to healthy team culture
- Experience building complex websites with a team
- Experience with Drupal or Wordpress
- Familiarity with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1)
What You Do Not Need
- A college degree
- A high GPA
- An address in or around Portland, OR
How You’ll Spend Your Time
- About 50%:
- Writing front-end or back-end code for large Drupal and Wordpress sites
- Defining clear tasks for other developers
- Participating in code reviews and providing clear feedback to other developers
- About 30%:
- Meeting with your direct reports weekly for 1:1’s
- Identifying opportunities to refine best practices
- Preparing annual reviews, coaching teammates in setting and meeting professional goals
- Working with Project Managers and other Developer Managers to plan upcoming work
- About 20%:
- Internal meetings
- Your own professional development
We welcome applications from candidates across the country. We work hard to maintain 40hr work weeks, and we support flexible schedules.
The salary band for this position is $95-125k. In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Health insurance with dental, vision, and alternative care
- Company funded Health Reimbursement Account
- Matching 401k
- Life insurance and short term disability insurance
- Paid Family and Medical Leave
- 32 days of PTO annually, including holidays
- Paid sabbatical after 5 years with the company
- Professional development funds
- Good management support and a well thought-out yearly review process.
- 4 hours of experimentation time per week.
ThinkShout is made up of people with a variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We are honest and recognize that our company isn’t as diverse as it should be. We’re trying to change that. If you aren’t sure whether you qualify, please apply anyway. We would much prefer to have an extra application to consider than for you to screen yourself out. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better ([email protected] with subject line Developer Manager - Accommodations”). We're happy to accommodate.
Please submit a resume (no more than 2 pages) in PDF format. We request that you do not submit a cover letter.
If you are selected to move forward, here’s what you can expect:
- Upon scheduling for Round 1, we will request some of your existing code for us to review
- Round 1 is a 25-minute screening call
- Round 2 is a 45-minute interview with the hiring manager
- Round 3 is a 55-min panel interview
We are looking to fill this position for an October start date.
Please note that candidates must reside and be eligible to work in the United States.