Manager of Data Systems and Analytics
YouthTruth · San Francisco, CA
Data-driven decision-making is tremendously important in the education industry. Schools and districts have complex goals extending from ambitious strategic plans, and making measurable progress requires gathering and analyzing large amounts of data. For some, data analytics is primarily a means to improving pedagogy, curriculum, and student performance. While the core academic program should indeed benefit from data analysis, this is only the beginning.
YouthTruth was developed on the simple premise that giving students a greater voice – and truly listening to their feedback – can fundamentally improve educational planning, strategy, and decision-making. Launched in 2008 by The Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP), YouthTruth is a national survey project that gathers feedback from students and other stakeholders. YouthTruth then empowers administrators and education funders to make better decisions affecting those students. Put simply, YouthTruth gives students a voice through data and analytics, and then guides administrators to harness key insights to ultimately serve students and families even better.
Having enjoyed tremendous success over the last decade, YouthTruth now boasts more than one dozen employees distributed onto three teams: partnerships and external relations, client services and operations, and data systems and analytics. The data systems and analytics team comprises five professionals in roles that include analyst, developer, and software architect. For the last several years the YouthTruth executive director herself has led this team, but with more growth on the horizon, YouthTruth now seeks a full-time manager of data systems and analytics to assume responsibility for this mission-critical functional unit. One component of the job is people-focused: guiding a team and providing growth opportunities for a talented staff. Another equally important component involves product and project management.
As a part of CEP, a nonprofit with about 50 employees that includes the YouthTruth team, both YouthTruth and CEP collaboratively manage in-house enterprise applications while also leveraging best-in-class third-party data systems. The manager of data systems and analytics will be part of a shared technology team that includes other YouthTruth and CEP staff in charge of workflow improvements, system migrations, and application developments. YouthTruth seeks a manager of data systems and analytics that can work on-site at the San Francisco headquarters three days per week. The manager of data systems and analytics reports to the executive director and serves on the YouthTruth leadership team.
For more information please visit the following link, which contains the job opportunity statement and complete application instructions.
Applications Accepted Starting: October 6, 2021
Application Deadline: November 5, 2021 at 5pm PDT
Semifinal Round: Week of November 15
Final Round: Week of November 29
Decision Announced: December 10, 2021
Start Date: December or early January
- In collaboration with the executive director and the analyst team, identify, communicate, and execute against short and long-term team goals and priorities.
- Facilitate analyst team collaboration with internal and external facing teams.
- Manage capacity across the team, balancing client deliverables and deadlines with product and process improvement projects.
- Identify and implement team needs and opportunities to evolve our systems, approaches, and/or roles for maximum efficiency, accuracy, and impact.
- Support the team in continuous improvement of quality control practices and procedures.
- Implement an effective knowledge management and documentation strategy across the team.
- Manage technology contractors and coordinate technology projects across teams.
- Guide product development and process improvements.
- Oversee and drive efficiencies in the creation of customizable surveys and data-driven reports based on survey results.
- Ensure consistent testing, maintenance, and upkeep of codebase; coordinate code releases.
- Manage a team of analysts and software developers.
- Coach and guide the ongoing professional development of members of the team.
- Advise executive director on resourcing needs to meet team goals.
- Coordinate hiring for a team of analysts that is growing.
Our nonprofit model is central to our identity: our bottom line is impact, not profit. Yet even as a nonprofit, we successfully compete for top talent across both the public and private sectors and offer competitive compensation and benefits, including
- This role is eligible for a generous Performance Based Incentive Compensation.
- Healthy work-life balance; employees typically average about 45 hours/week.
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance plans.
- Generous paid time off plan, including up to 15 holidays, two weeks of accrued vacation, and two personal days per year.
- Eligibility to work remotely 2 days per week.
- 401(k) plan with a 1:1 Employer Match up to 5% of total compensation.
- Generous annual personal professional development allowance.
- Flexible spending and dependent care tax free savings plans.
- Life insurance covered 100% by the organization.
- We believe diversity and inclusion are key drivers of creativity and innovation, and we actively seek out candidates from many types of diverse backgrounds to apply for this exciting role.
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Your Background and Experiences:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, a graduate degree is a plus but not required
- Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience as a data analyst, project analyst, system designer, product specialist, or related fields
- Experience leading teams, coordinating groups, or developing staff
- Project coordination in support of major enterprise systems or applications (such as upgrades, transitions, migrations, design, development, testing, or evaluation)
- Fluency in processes and workflows related to data management, scripting, and analytics
Who You Are:
- Passionate about putting your professional skills to work to elevate student voice and improve K–12 education
- Creative and analytical in your approaches to automating workflow and optimizing data processes and systems
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to balance a complex set of needs and priorities
- Highly organized with a sharp attention to detail
- Eager and able to quickly learn new tools, systems, and skills; willing to learn and contribute to the day-to-day work and systems to deeply understand and ultimately improve them
- Flexible, adaptable, and resourceful in a fast-paced environment; iterative and open to feedback
- An excellent communicator with the ability to work cross-functionally and communicate with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Experience working in education or with educational data a plus but not necessary