Geospatial Software Engineer
Planet · San Francisco, CA
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Our Data Pipeline team processes vast quantities of satellite image data into beautiful, visual products that provide scientifically useful analytics and actionable information. The group is responsible for taking millions of images a day from downlink to customer workflows. The work of the Data Pipeline team is performed at scale and affects millions of images and terabytes of data.
There is much work to be done and this would be a great experience for an engineer who has experience with image processing code at scale. This position will focus on PlanetScope satellites. PlanetScope satellites deliver daily 8 band imagery.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop image processing software to deliver imagery products
- Implement image quality metrics
- Work with Payload group to support hardware changes
- Troubleshoot field quality issues
What You Bring:
- 3+ years of experience writing software to manipulate geospatial data
- Extensive knowledge of GDAL and other open-source GIS tools
- Experience writing production code in Python
- Knowledge of how to scale code with cloud computing resources, e.g. AWS or GCP
- Experience leveraging scientific computing using Python in a Unix/Linux environment
- A passion for Programming, Photography, Remote Sensing, Earth Sciences, and Geography
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience writing production code in C++
- Experience with existing and evolving standards for representing geospatial data on the web
- Solid background in machine learning and statistics
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.