JustFix · New York, NY
About the Position
JustFix is seeking a Product Manager with 2+ years of relevant experience and a passion for tenants’ rights to join us on our mission to co-create tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all.
Reporting directly to our Executive Director, this person would serve as a key bridge between our Program and Product team. Accordingly, the applicant should be exceptionally skilled at communicating technical processes and concepts to all staff members, including non-technical program staff. The Product Manager would be the product owner for multiple JustFix services, including NoRent, EvictionFreeNY, and the Letter of Complaint.
Although this is not a technical role (does not include creating mocks, writing code, nor developing programmatic content), this person should be able to understand which repository will have to be altered to fix a bug or develop a feature, understand design processes and tools, and maintain a familiarity with the work of our engineers and designers.
JustFix’s team is based in New York City. We are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to an office, which will depend on the state of the public health crisis. While we are eager to return to the office, JustFix prioritizes staff health and wellbeing above all else.
Project Management (60%)
- Triage and prioritize product requests from external partners and internal leadership
- Manage the product team's day-to-day organizational needs, including:
- creating timelines
- writing product requirement documents
- coordinating internal meetings (e.g. standups, product team meetings, retrospectives)
- Collaborate with external product partners to recruit and schedule users for interviews
- Define success metrics, create analytics dashboards and refer back to them when making product prioritization decisions
- Run consensus-based decision making processes on the product team and weigh in with product expertise
Research and Improvement (15%)
- Decide which features to build and set timelines for the implementation of new features
- Translate user and program team requirements into product features
- Assist/coordinate research to identify user needs and potential gaps
- Keep a pulse on market of similar products
Internal Responsibilities (15%)
- Team meetings
- Manager and peer check-ins
- Anti-racism initiatives and curriculum
- Org-wide initiatives
*Other duties may also be assigned
Qualities & Skills
- 2+ years of relevant experience, preferably in software product management
- Motivated by our mission
- Understanding of the role of product/technology in movement-driven spaces
- Aptitude for giving and receiving feedback along with ability to say “no,” but explain why in understandable terms
- Motivated to apply anti-oppressive practices to traditional product development processes
- Experience with analytics tools (i.e. Amplitude, Fullstory, and/or Google Analytics)
- Collaborative mindset with ability to communicate expectations and commitments, both as a leader and as a team player
- Scientific approach to problem solving with the ability to adapt strategy based on research and new information
- Experience with remote collaboration/project management tools (e.g. Clubhouse, Airtable, Slack or similar)
- Local to NYC
Nice to have:
- Interest in growing with and building a resilient team structure
- Familiarity with and knowledge about stakeholders across the housing justice ecosystem, ideally in NYC
- Interest in civic technology and co-design
- Highly curious and comfortable with ambiguity
- Growth mindset with an ability to adapt and learn quickly
- Experience in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial context within a larger organization)
- A connection to the people JustFix supports and the tools we are building
- Familiarity with housing justice issues in New York City or elsewhere in the US
- English and Spanish dual fluency (reading, writing, speaking)
Why Work for JustFix.nyc
- Outstanding health plan. 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits are covered for staff along with FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Support for the future. 401k option (we match up to 2%, plus a non-elective contribution per year), and 16 weeks paid Parental Leave for those eligible.
- Flexible Paid Time Off with a generous and inclusive holiday schedule. We have a culture of community care and encourage each other to take time to rest.
- Monthly tenant engagement opportunities. Spend time and learn with the communities with whom we build with and update our tools.
- Resourced learning opportunities. We invest in each staff person so that they can have ongoing professional development and respond to growth feedback.
- Personalized technology setup. You choose what type of computer and accessories you need to do your best work and we cover up to $1,000 of that cost through our offered technology stipend, with an additional $1,000 at your two year work anniversary.
- Small and collaborative work culture. We are a small team that works together closely and emphasizes learning from each other, with dedicated time for any staff member to share the skills they’re most excited about with the team.
Salary is $80,000 to $90,000 annually for 40 hours a week (full time, exempt) including full health (medical, vision, dental) insurance, and all benefits listed in the “Why Work for JustFix.nyc” section.
JustFix.nyc is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that co-creates tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice. Housing is a human right. We believe all tenants deserve dignified housing that helps them thrive in all parts of their lives - and that technology plays a supportive role in equipping tenants and the housing justice movement with the tools, information, and organizing power critical to this fight for racial and economic justice. Read more about our impact and Theory of Change.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.