Senior Product Manager
NWEA · Portland, OR/Remote
Senior Product Manager – Product Portfolio
Note: This is a fully remote role that can be located anywhere in the United States. Qualified candidates from all time zones are encouraged to apply.
This position is an individual contributor in the Product Management team at NWEA and reports to a Vice President of Product Management. Sr. Product Managers work across the organization to collaboratively develop and manage product/service strategy, planning and execution throughout the product lifecycle. This includes the definition of market and product opportunities, business cases and pricing models, market requirements, product roadmap and release plans, market and competitive positioning, product feature design, product development priorities, release readiness and product maintenance. They work closely with Product Marketing and Partner Accounts on go-to-market strategy and execution for their product. Sr. Product Managers are responsible for ensuring that their product/service supports the organization’s overall strategy, mission, profitability, and partner satisfaction goals are met.
This role has a specific cross product, portfolio level, responsibility encompassing all of NWEA solutions.
- Responsible for all aspects of product management for assigned product(s) and service(s), including vision, strategy, positioning, planning, and execution including but not limited to market and product/service opportunities, business and financial analysis, roadmap and release, market requirements, functional requirements validation, go-to-market information and artifacts, and sales support
- Proactively meet with Partners and Prospects to assess needs, identify opportunities and build relationships that provide relevant market data and inform product choices
- Coordinates planning with other product managers and stakeholders to ensure comprehensive market readiness from a segment perspective given market trending, compliance concerns and political drivers
- Evangelize and socialize product or service strategy, vision and value proposition with internal and external stakeholders
- Manage products and services throughout the product life-cycle from solution innovation, definition, release and end-of-life planning
- Assess technology trends, and current and emerging competitors in order to inform product direction; utilize and gather market and industry research and analysis to inform a long-range product roadmap
- Perform market needs analysis specific to target market segments to better understand the problems and needs of potential and existing customers
- Identify opportunities to optimize product/service profitability through value-based pricing, production efficiency recommendations, and competitive and market intelligence to improve partner retention rates and partner satisfaction
- Attend key industry conferences capture key takeaways and socialize with the product management team and the organization
- Regularly interact with product user groups, industry leaders and the learning community in order to stay abreast of industry changes
- Completes additional projects and responsibilities, as appropriate
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to embed the organizational mission as the core driver in product strategy and planning, balancing business and market demands in the context of the organizational mission
- Provide product leadership and demonstrates a sustained ability to manage products in a dynamic, fast changing environment is essential
- Capable of establishing a business case to support product strategy and direction
- Ability to travel as required, up to 25%
- Strategic Mindset: Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies
- Instill Trust: gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
- Communicate Effectively: develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Customer Focus: build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions
- Drive Results: consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances
- Business Insight: applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals
- Manages Complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Balances Stakeholders: Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
Education and Experience
- Demonstrable success in defining and executing complex Portfolio Product Strategy a must
- Bachelor's degree in business discipline or equivalent experience; advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum seven years’ experience in product management, business analysis or related discipline, with at least three years in product management related to product strategy
- Experience with all aspects of go to market planning and launch
- Demonstrated success in developing and launching complex technology products
- Solid knowledge of/experience with the Product Lifecycle Management processes such as product requirements definition, product business plan development, new product introduction
- Knowledge of and experience with educational assessment preferred
- Proficient with Pragmatic or 280 group Product Management frameworks a plus
NWEA® is a research-based, not-for-profit organization that supports students and educators worldwide by creating assessment solutions that precisely measure growth and proficiency—and provide timely data to help tailor instruction. For more than 40 years, NWEA has developed innovative pre-K–12 assessments, including our flagship interim assessment, MAP® Growth™; our progress monitoring and skills mastery tool, MAP® Skills™; and our reading fluency and comprehension assessment, MAP® Reading Fluency™. Educators trust our professional learning offerings to accelerate student learning and our research to support assessment validity and data interpretation. More than 11 million students in 146 countries use our solutions to support their learning and growth each year.
What We Can Offer You
At NWEA we not only offer a competitive base salary, we offer a 15% contribution of eligible employees’ base salary to a defined contribution 403(b) retirement savings plan; career development opportunities; an awesome work culture and environment; we also offer industry leading benefits and perks that are focused on supporting our employees’ holistic wellbeing. To learn more about what we can offer more, click here.
NWEA strives to make diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) practices the center of our work. Our organization’s mission, Partnering to Help All Kids Learn, is the foundation for our DEIA commitment as we work to reflect, value, and support the educators, students, colleagues, and communities we serve. We seek to empower and engage all stakeholders in the research, services, solutions, and products we provide, our organizational culture, and the partnerships we establish with schools, districts, states, and countries.
NWEA endeavors to make www.nwea.org accessible to all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please call us at (503) 624-1951 or e-mail us at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request, your location and your contact information. This is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
NWEA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our EEO Policy Statement, please visit our website. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please visit the EEOC website