Common Impact · Brooklyn, NY
Common Impact has built the leading model for skills-based volunteering, connecting talented professionals from global companies to high-potential nonprofits. As corporate engagement and investment in social challenges deepens, Common Impact is expanding and evolving to meet the new demands of this exciting field. Common Impact embarked on a strategic plan to vastly increase the scope of its impact through targeted partnerships, the development of comprehensive train-the-trainer platform, and the identification and execution of crucial social projects where corporate talent can play a transformational role.
Common Impact seeks a Manager, Technology to apply a strategic technology and operational lens to facilitating cross-sector partnerships and bringing Common Impact’s operations to scale. Reporting to the COO, the Manager, Technology will support and manage projects across multiple dimensions – strategy, operations, finance, talent, and technology – in order to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of work procedures and the systems that support them as well as help guide the organization towards the achievement of its strategic goals.
This position offers an exceptional opportunity for a mid-career professional with a mix of technical and operational skills to join Common Impact’s talented team, and to expand a proven model of social impact. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with knowledge of a diverse range of technologies. S/he will have superior attention to detail and a proven track-record successfully managing a wide range of simultaneous projects; and will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Ownership and management of key internal processes and technology systems. The Manager, Technology will steward the evolution and maintenance of Common Impact’s key internal processes, which leverage a number of technology systems including Salesforce, Microsoft Office 365, Word Press (website platforms) through direct support and the management of Common Impact’s technical support vendors.
While you won’t be responsible for all the work involved in these systems, you will be responsible for ensuring that these systems are up to date, making effective use of the full team’s time (program updates in Salesforce, capacity and work planning), and providing an overall assessment to the COO.
You will also be responsible for maintaining day-to-day functioning of the organization’s technology equipment, training staff on how to use technology and systems, troubleshooting problems, and assisting in managing our relationship with our external IT vendors, as it relates to new hire on-boarding and staff off-boarding, system-wide problems, hardware/software purchasing, network management, and equipment deployment.
Supporting the growth of Common Impact’s services. In addition to overseeing the day to day use of our current systems, the Manager, Technology will help evolve our current systems and build new ones in order for us to more effectively manage our work. They will identify pain points in Common Impact’s operations and propose new processes and platforms that will support the streamlining of our operations, as well as the ability for Common Impact to scale its work, with specific focus on automating, to the extent possible, our key operational processes in Salesforce: Revenue Recognition, Capacity Planning and Invoicing.
Common Impact has a physical office in Brooklyn, NY as well as remote staff and clients. As we continue to grow, the Manager, Technology will work closely with our COO to build systems that facilitate this growth and to enable the increased automation of our operational processes to maximize the time and talents of our team.
Data management, reporting, and analysis. The Manager, Technology will centrally produce all key operational reports and provide ongoing reporting that enable different levels of Common Impact leadership to understand program outcomes, needed client touch points, and status of special initiatives, as well as help to standardize and analyze Common Impact’s feedback surveys. In addition to producing the reports, the Manager, Technology will be responsible for analyzing the data and flagging concerns to executive and managerial staff.
The Manager, Technology will also be responsible for creating audit reports and processes to ensure that organizational data is up-to-date and accurate and that operational tasks across the organization are being completed in a timely manner by all staff (i.e. invoices are being submitted to clients and nonprofits, etc.). The Manager, Technology will encourage strong user adoption of processes across the organization and hold users accountable for inputting accurate data and following established processes to inform organizational dashboards and reports.
The Manager, Technology is a unique, exciting position that will allow you to use and develop a number of different skillsets. We would like candidates to be or possess the following, and we may be flexible with the requirements for candidates that meet most but not all of the skills outlined below.
- At least 5 years of relevant office-based work experience
- Strong IT expertise; experience working with Salesforce and Office 365 required with 2 to 4 years of experience as a Salesforce.com administrator and/or a solid understanding of Salesforce configuration
- Comfort with Excel and Data Loader or other tools for data management
- Exposure to consulting management processes such as Capacity Planning preferred
- A documented history of successfully driving projects to completion
- A systems thinker who has a passion for using technology to solve challenges, and can demonstrate an ability to look at disparate processes, understand the core functions needed to run those processes, and envision and evolve systems to support their effective use
- An ability to train non-technical users on technical systems, steward the roll out of new processes, and encourage strong user adoption and accountability
- An excellent problem solver and critical thinker who can synthesize information, ask insightful questions, and spot trends quickly
- Flexible and successful in a work environment where competing priorities are the norm; comfortable with ambiguity
- A strong customer service mindset with ability to forge and maintain trusting and productive working relationships with a wide-variety of internal and external partners
- Superior attention to details while maintaining an understanding of how they support larger goals
- Enthusiastic for the mission of Common Impact, with a commitment to working with diverse communities
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Travel: Less than 5% time
Compensation & Benefits: The salary range for this position is $45,000-$75,000 annually and commensurate with experience. Common Impact offers competitive benefits, including 3 weeks of vacation, 10 holidays, the final week of the year off, and 12 sick days; a 401(k) plan and 2% match; paid parental leave; and medical and dental coverage.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected], with “Manager, Technology – Last Name, First Name – Tech Jobs For Good” in the subject line (for example, Manager, Operations – Doe, Jane – Tech Jobs For Good).
Your cover letter should address the following (this is no time to be modest!):
- Please describe your background in information technology, particularly your experience analyzing business needs and translating them into technology solutions.
- Please describe one experience that you have had introducing a new system or process that departed from the customary way of doing things, the approach you took to gain cooperation, how this experience was challenging for you, and what you learned about interacting with others as a result.
- What are the skills that you hope to develop in this position?
Please submit your resume and cover letter, with salary requirements, by October 31st to receive full and immediate consideration for this position. (We will continue to accept applications after this date, but these applications may not receive full consideration.
Common Impact is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse community and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, national origin, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Please note that being legally authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis is a precondition of employment.
About Common Impact
Common Impact is a nationally-recognized nonprofit that works to build a society in which individuals and businesses invest their unique talents towards a shared purpose: strengthening the local communities in which we live and work. We connect corporate employees to nonprofit organizations with proven models to tackle the greatest challenges our communities face.
We break down barriers that exist between sectors and industries to create meaningful partnerships between companies, social sector organizations and the people that drive them. The common purpose of these connections: to deliver real value to each partner through innovations in community engagement, and ultimately to address deeply rooted and complex social challenges.
With a deep understanding of both mission-focused and business goals, Common Impact enables growing nonprofits to achieve even greater results in our communities, while simultaneously engaging corporate employees in dynamic and challenging opportunities that develop their skills and unlock successful, purpose-driven careers.
Founded in 2000, Common Impact has partners with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s leading nonprofit organizations to create this transformational change. Learn more about our services, our impact, the companies we work with, and our nonprofit partners.