Senior Manager of Technology, Services
Department: PBS KIDS Digital
Corporate Area: Digital and Marketing
Supervisor: Director, Technology
PBS KIDS Digital is looking for a Senior Manager of Technology to oversee the engineering efforts behind our APIs, cloud services, and backend systems. PBS KIDS Digital is on the cutting edge of content delivery and analytics, and this role will help shape systems that serve millions of children every day.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Manage, mentor, and grow a team of software engineers
- Architect cloud solutions and execute technical approaches for APIs, data pipelines, analytics systems, state machines, event busses, and more
- Pioneer serverless approaches to distributed data systems using GraphQL
- Partner with the Directors of Technology for Web and Gaming to track inter-dependencies and architect solutions to cross-product problems
- Act as a Player-Coach by contributing some code on projects. We expect about 25% of your time to be coding.
- Oversee contractors, vendors, and consultants
- Prototype new features or applications
- Research new technologies, tools, and processes
- Collaborate closely with product owners, project managers, and design leads to establish technical requirements, estimate levels of effort, and plan technical execution
- A serverless data collector and pipeline that helps researchers analyze the learning impacts of game play
- An A/B testing system for games and websites
- A GraphQL API that enables user facing applications to access meaningful data across many systems
- Serverless state machines that keep user facing content up-to-date and available
Requirements for success:
- 1 - 3 years’ experience in engineering management or technical leadership
- Experience managing remote teams of contractors and vendors
- Comfort working on projects that perform under high traffic volume
- Excellent communication skills across technical and non-technical groups
- Experience juggling multiple projects and priorities while maintaining a big picture view
- GraphQL (We currently use Apollo)
- Amazon Web Services (Lambda, Step Functions, API Gateway, Kinesis, and more)
- Build processes and tools like GitHub Actions, Jenkins, and Bash scripts
- Serverless technologies like Lambda, Step Functions, and API Gateway
- Web technologies like HTML5, CSS3, and progressive web apps
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified candidates and employees pursuant to applicable law.