Senior Software Engineer
Swiftly · San Francisco, CA or Remote
Human Rights & EqualityPosted 3 weeks ago
Google Cloud Platform
Swiftly is a mission-driven company and a big data platform for transportation. The platform weaves data analytics, intuitive visualizations, and real-time predictive technologies into applications that drive smarter decisions for public transit agencies. Today, over 5,500 transit professionals in over 100 cities across the globe use Swiftly to improve transportation for over 1.5 billion passenger trips per year.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
About the Role
You will be a leader and contributor on one of our core teams which owns the ingestion of real-time transit data, visibility of system health, and self service account management. You’ll work with Product Managers, Customer Success, Sales, and other Product teams to identify areas for product improvements, and work with the other members of the team to outline and distribute work. You’ll mentor other engineers, and have a significant opportunity to influence the long-term technical direction of the company.
Your work will impact all of Swiftly's product lines–Transitime real-time passenger information, Metronome real-time vehicle operations, and Insights historical data analytics–and it will solve real problems for transit agencies resulting in improved transit reliability.
We encourage you to apply if you meet some of the requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, then we'd love to talk!
- Build features in your team’s API-driven microservices
- Take ownership of assessing feasibility of new functionality and enhancements
- Act as the technical point person for prioritization and evaluation of trade-offs in the team’s work
- Refactor portions of our core system to support greater scale and extensibility as our data volume and company grows
- Be a voice in the shaping of our architectural vision
- Partner with Engineering and Product Management to grow an encouraging, safe, positive team environment
- Mentor teammates in software best practices and perform code reviews
- 4+ years of software development experience with at least 2+ years in Java, and the desire to work in a Java environment
- Experience prototyping or creating MVPs for product validation
- Experience with SQL and RDBMS such as PostgreSQL
- Experience with one of the major cloud platforms – AWS, GCP, Azure – and have built software using cloud services
- Experience mentoring to grow coworkers
- Experience writing automated tests and deploying applications through CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with either a modern data streaming platform (e.g. Kafka) or analytics engine (e.g. Spark) is a plus
You'll be a good fit if...
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do.
- You want to help grow healthy, psychologically safe, diverse engineering teams.
- You are a team player and seek to make valuable contributions wherever it is most-needed at any given time.
- You’ve worked on a team (or want to work on a team) that builds software that can be understood and extended by your teammates.
- You embrace a growth mindset both for yourself and your fellow teammates. At Swiftly, we recognize that technology is always changing and requires continual learning. You love learning and helping those around you grow.
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401k with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Home office setup reimbursement
- Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
- Monthly Education Reimbursement
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible work environment
- 17 paid holidays - including 4 holidays in months without US national holidays in 2021
- 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you're passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.