Senior Engineering Manager
Swiftly · San Francisco, CA or Remote
Human Rights & EqualityPosted 3 weeks ago
User Experience Design (UX)
Swiftly is a mission-driven company and a big data platform for transportation. The platform weaves data analytics, intuitive visualizations, and real-time predictive technologies into applications that drive smarter decisions for public transit agencies. Today, over 5,500 transit professionals in over 100 cities across the globe use Swiftly to improve transportation for over 1.5 billion passenger trips per year.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
About the Role
Swiftly is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager who will play a pivotal role in scaling our rapidly growing Engineering team. At Swiftly, the role of Engineering Management is to help build collaborative, self-sufficient, and effective product teams while supporting growth of direct reports. Our product teams are comprised of engineers, designers, UX researchers, and product managers who you will regularly collaborate with to help our engineers do everything from effective prototyping to shipping production-ready products and systems. You will work most closely with our teams responsible for building products that transit agencies use to manage day-to-day operations. This is an exciting new space for us, and your influence will help our teams solve real problems for transit agencies that result in improved transit reliability and quality. A background in backend engineering, data, and/or cloud architecture would be a particularly strong fit to mentor the individuals you will manage. You will also have the opportunity to make a big impact on the culture and composition of our engineering team, including driving hiring processes with an aim to build a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, we'd love to talk to you.
Swiftly's office is located in San Francisco, CA. We are open to local hires for this role or remote hires who are willing to travel at least 4 times per year. At this time we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship. #LI-Remote
- Build empowered product teams that deliver successful outcomes by identifying team skill and capability gaps, growing individuals on the team into necessary roles, and augmenting with hiring
- Take on an active day-to-day role within a team initially, ensuring effective collaboration and planning within and between teams, and over time grow team members into such roles on the team
- Seek feedback from direct reports and combine with your observations to remove impediments to a positive team culture that sets up the team for success
- Support strong goal-setting and mentorship for your direct reports to help your engineers achieve realistic goals and grow in their careers
- Create an environment where your direct reports are proud to work at Swiftly, as measured by retainment and eNPS scores
- Drive inclusive interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of new engineers in collaboration with Swiftly’s Head of Engineering, Recruitment Manager, and other Engineering Managers
- If time allows, be hands-on as an individual contributor outside the critical path
You’ll be a good fit if...
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do.
- You have previously managed multiple direct reports who grew under your management
- You seek to understand and empathize with your direct reports -- understanding in-work and out-of-work stressors -- to help each report achieve their full potential.
- You want to join as a manager of a small, dynamic team with an opportunity to scale it up with the company into multiple product teams.
- You have experience interviewing for engineering roles with a focus on diversity and inclusion.
- You have experience working in a collaborative product development organization alongside product management and design.
- You have strong mentorship experience, with an eye toward helping teams deliver software incrementally.
- It’s a plus if you have experience designing cloud-native systems or data-intensive applications.
- You are a dynamic team player and seek to make valuable contributions wherever it is most-needed at any given time.
- You embrace a growth mindset both for yourself and your fellow teammates. At Swiftly, we recognize that technology is always changing and requires continual learning. You love learning and helping those around you grow.
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
As a tight-knit company where we have the utmost concern and care for our team members, Swiftly has adopted a mandatory COVID vaccination policy.
This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.
We will not require any candidates to be vaccinated in order to interview for our open positions, but all new hires at Swiftly will be required to share a copy of their vaccination certification or present documentation to request an exemption.
In compliance with the EEOC, any team member in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief must provide Swiftly People Ops with appropriate documentation. For a medical exemption, we require a doctor’s note, and for a religious exemption, we require a note from the team member outlining the request.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401k with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Home office setup reimbursement
- Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
- Monthly Education Reimbursement
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible work environment
- 17 paid holidays - including 4 holidays in months without US national holidays in 2021
- 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you're passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.