Senior Product Designer
Common Sense Media · San Francisco, CA or Remote
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is a nonprofit organization that gives kids, families, and schools the tools to make informed choices about media and technology.
Families know us for our independent, age-based reviews of movies, TV shows, books, games, and apps. Teachers use our free curriculum and edtech reviews to plan lessons and integrate technology into their teaching practice.
At our core, we are a children's advocacy group. We work alongside people and organizations who care about kids as much as we do. Together with our partners, we advocate for laws and policies that help families thrive.
We're looking for a skilled, human-centric Senior Product Designer (responsive web and app design) to bring the Common Sense vision and brand to life through exceptional digital experiences for our diverse audience of tens of millions of parents, caregivers, teachers, and kids. You are a skilled designer able to manage and inspire more junior designers. At Common Sense cohesive, accessible, and intuitive design is central to our mission of making the digital world a better place for all kids.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: VP, Design & Marketing
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA (remote available)
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
You will collaborate closely with engineers, visual designers, UX researchers, copywriters, marketers, and product managers. Your work will touch on every aspect of our website, from brainstorming the next feature to delivering design specs before launch, as well as:
- Influence the long-term design strategy and product vision for our websites and apps.
- Inspire collaboration among the design team, creating and delivering exceptional design for user interfaces and experience across our digital products.
- Manage and mentor more junior product designers to practice user-centric design, systems thinking, and rational design processes to ensure our digital experiences are best in class.
- Ensure our product design work is held to a high degree of excellence and rigor with respect to our brand standards and design principles.
- Partner with product, engineering, data, and research to ensure projects are well-defined, high-impact, and successfully executed.
- Effectively balance user and business needs, and guide products toward solutions that are intuitive for our community and deliver successful outcomes.
- Collaborate closely with design leadership to refine our design vision and improve our tools and operations.
- Stay informed of emerging tech trends and circulate that learning among the product and creative teams.
- Own and evolve our design system, and contribute to our brand expression.
- Work with the VP of Design & Marketing and Product Managers to prioritize projects, align resources, ensure efficiencies, and measure results.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- 5+ years of experience designing digital products that have shipped to the public.
- 2+ years of professional experience managing designers.
- A portfolio that demonstrates your web and app design expertise, and stories backed by data that outlines the impact of your work.
- Proven experience with eCommerce, purchase paths, and transactional product design.
- Experience with iterative prototyping and testing, and dual-track agile design/development.
- A drive to collaborate cross-functionally toward successful outcomes.
- Deeply detail-oriented, but able to recognize when and how to think big-picture.
- Knowledge and application of user-centered-design / human-centered-design methodologies.
- Expertise in standard tools of the trade (Sketch, InVision, Figma, etc.) and able to learn new tools quickly.
- Basic knowledge of CSS and HTML.
- A passion for your craft, and a desire to work in a mission-driven creative environment.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with a great team of talented, passionate developers and product people who have worked together for a long time and love what they're doing.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work-life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in a denial of employment.