Qualitative UX Researcher
The Trevor Project · Remote
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
As a Qualitative UX Researcher at the Trevor Project, you will join the growing UXR team to understand our users and evangelize for user experience organization-wide. You will work closely with UX design, data science, product management, software and ML engineering, and cross-functional stakeholders to ensure we are solving the right problems and identifying innovative opportunities for new and existing products and experiences. You will plan and conduct user research using primarily qualitative methods and share critical insights that lead to human- and youth-centered products and AI solutions across mission-critical verticals for the organization.
Who you are
- Knowledgeable. You have formal training in human-computer interaction, psychology, or a related field, and have experience leading qualitative research (i.e. interviews, observations, usability studies, participatory design) to inform product development that is centered around user needs, behaviors, and motivations. In addition, you have experience determining the right method based on research goals and available resources.
- Innovative. You actively look for ways to introduce new ideas or improve existing processes and are adaptable and flexible with changing priorities. You have experience contributing to a user centered design practice to expand the impact user feedback has within the organization.
- Approachable. You can comfortably interact with a wide range of audiences, whether you are conducting live research with LGBTQ youth or sharing insights with leadership.
- Empathetic. You care about the wellbeing of LGBTQ youth and respect those around you regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and physical ability.
- Impactful. You deliver consistent, high-quality work with increased levels of autonomy, and you ensure your work advances progress on team and organizational goals.
- Collaborative. You can explain complex concepts in a way that everyone can understand.
What you’ll do
- Plan and execute continuous UX research activities with product, engineering, and cross-functional stakeholders
- Use qualitative methods to capture different types of insights that inform product strategy and design
- Lead all phases of the UXR process, including preparation, execution, and analysis of research studies and findings
- Prepare and deliver high-impact reports and presentations to stakeholders and leadership
- Operationalize research insights into actionable, measurable goals across product development
- Contribute to a centralized UX research repository of past reports, templates, and playbooks
- Evangelize UX research internally and coach cross-functional project leads conducting their own analyses for specific projects
- Be an advocate for young people seeking help in crises, as well as other user groups, while understanding the goals of the organization
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet stipend and reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the next Qualititve UX Researcher at The Trevor Project!