Desmos · Remote
EducationPosted 3 weeks ago
Desmos is on a mission to improve the quality of math education in every classroom. We do this by letting teachers and students access rich, interactive, and pedagogically sound math experiences right in their browser. Building high-quality math content is no easy task, and it requires close collaboration between teachers, designers, and engineers as well as constant testing in real classrooms.
Our fully remote engineering team builds elegant and flexible systems that can quickly respond to design and pedagogy demands. We regularly come together as a team to make sure we have the tools and processes that we need, and none that we don't. Join us in creating delightful and meaningful math experiences for teachers and students.
What you should show up ready to teach anyone on your first day:
- A 5-minute summary of some basic computer science topics that are important in the practice of building real software.
- Design decisions in a piece of code you wrote, including alternatives you considered and trade-offs you made.
- How a healthy team culture and healthy engineering practices help build production-quality software.
- How you would improve this piece of code.
What you'll learn more about after you're hired:
- Our commitment to accessibility and how to keep accessibility in mind during the development process.
- Our equity principles and how they inform our everyday decision-making, processes, and interactions.
- Our approach to building reliable software — scoping, design, architecture, code review, testing, automation, monitoring, etc.
- How our incredible team creates engaging and effective lessons, while being mindful of how technology can both help and hinder students and teachers.
- How to build powerful tools that let teachers and students create mathematical demonstrations, delightful curriculum, and mathematical art.
Within your first week, you’ll:
- Introduce yourself on Slack to your new colleagues!
- Learn about our process for writing, testing, and deploying code.
- Ship your first piece of code to production!
Within your first month, you’ll:
- Familiarize yourself with Typescript and our in-house front-end framework.
- Complete your first user-facing feature in collaboration with other teams (design, business, teaching faculty).
- Start reviewing code from other engineers on the team, bringing your keen eye for pragmatic and elegant solutions to challenging problems.
Within your first six months, you’ll:
- Build and ship multiple major improvement to our products, working in teams with another engineer and a designer.
- Visit a classroom (or join a virtual classroom) to watch students use our technology to learn mathematics.
- Meet the full team (hopefully in person) and help shape the company's goals at an off-site.
- Identify ways that our equity principles can further inform our approach to software development, both in terms of the products we make and the processes we use to make it.
Within your first year, you’ll:
- Develop expertise in one or more areas of the code base or our development processes, and help drive improvements in those areas.
- Help hire and onboard new members of the engineering team.
- Take a vacation to recharge. We do our best work when we’re happy and well rested!