Staff Software Engineer
Bamboo Health · New York, NY
We are inspired by solving big problems. We are all about progress; we set out to do something and we do it. – Rob Cohen President, Bamboo Health
Bamboo Health is a leader in cloud-based care coordination software and analytics solutions focused on patients with complex needs, including those suffering from physical health and mental health issues and substance use disorders. We deliver on a mission of enabling better care for patients across the continuum, and our software solutions help healthcare professionals collaborate on shared patients across the spectrum of care.
We are actively hiring a full-time Staff Software Engineer who wants to craft something meaningful that will deeply impact people’s lives. Bamboo Health supports a number of customer facing web-based applications that facilitate care coordination. As a seasoned member of the team, you will work on all tiers of our application and have the opportunity to explore new technologies and approaches as we continue to expand our services. You should love to pursue tough problems and are constantly searching for elegant solutions while striving for excellence.
What You’ll Do:
Architect and implement features for new and existing products, often in partnership with external resources. Actively build consensus inside your team. Be an influential voice in setting clear deadlines, expectations and measures of success. Proactively identify and engage with stakeholders to build clarity. Influence other departments outside of engineering when appropriate.
Be a resource to others around you. Help them meet their goals, improve the quality of their work through collaboration and mentorship. Drive ownership in other individuals and build team-wide ownership of features and services. Help create tools and processes to monitor and ensure quality and be able to debug performance issues across services where tooling may be limited.
Always leave services better than you found them. Design solutions with an eye toward performance, operability, and maintenance at scale. Advocate for new patterns and technologies, finding effective ways to introduce them and enhance existing services. Help improve the security of services by understanding the system as a whole and identifying leverage points.
What Success Looks Like…
In 3 months…
- Become familiar with the details of our business domain, development process, and codebase
- Ask questions and build healthcare industry knowledge
- Participate in the design process and conduct code reviews for peers
In 6 months…
- Consistently deliver new features from concept to launch
- Become a strong partner to Product and other stakeholders
- Be available as a humble subject matter expert in an area of our tech stack
- Attend cross-team engineering meetings to influence department-wide standards and direction
Stuff We Use:
- Multiple services which communicate via both Kafka and synchronous REST APIs
- Asynchronous data pipelines using Aurora, ElasticSearch and other Amazon Web Services
- Docker, Kubernetes and Terraform for deployment
What You Need:
- 12-15+ years of Java or similar object-oriented development
- Exposure to system design of high-scale web applications
- Microservice architecture, including REST API design
- Relational database design and query via both SQL and ORM
- ElasticSearch or other document-oriented database
- Asynchronous data pipelines using Kafka or similar modern messaging framework
- AWS or other public cloud environment
- Modern Java frameworks (Spring Boot) preferred
What You Get:
- Join one of the fastest growing health IT companies in the country
- Have the autonomy to build something with an enthusiastically supportive team
- Learn from working at the highest levels and on the most strategic priorities of the company, including from world class investors and advisors
- Receive competitive compensation, including equity, with health, dental, vision and other benefits
We are an equal opportunity employer.