Senior Technical Advisor, Data Science, Climate
Palladium · Washington, DC
Palladium is a global company working to design, develop and deliver positive impact on the lives and livelihoods of people around the globe; broaden access to health, water, power, and infrastructure; build enduring, sustainable, and transformative institutions and market systems to address global challenges; and conserve the natural world. We operate in over 90 countries and have a workforce of 3,000 talented, motivated, and diverse staff of all religions, races, languages, and gender identities.
Our Americas’ business team has brilliant and passionate colleagues working in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and North and South America as well as the Caribbean, fulfilling projects and assignments for clients from institutions, corporations, governments, and foundations based in the Americas. We have offices in Washington, DC, New York City, and Raleigh-Durham, NC.
The Senior Technical Advisor for Data Science, Climate, will lead the development of climate analytics capabilities and improve offerings through the addition of climate-oriented analytics and insights. The position is expected to be 50% business development (working on proposals) and 50% implementation (working on active projects).
We do not expect the Senior Technical Adviser to have the skillset to perform all varieties of climate analytics. Rather, our expectation is that they be able to advise Palladium on what types of climate analyses would be useful to perform for a given project or sector, on what infrastructure and data is necessary to perform such analyses, and to implement analyses as appropriate. For all engagements, the Senior Technical Adviser will collaborate with domain experts employed by Palladium. They will also be able to leverage Palladium’s broader data science team for both business development and implementation.
You and Your Career:
We are looking for someone entrepreneurial and collaborative for this position. This individual will have the opportunity to build something new on top of the global, diverse, and well-respected foundation Palladium offers. If you are passionate about climate analytics, and if you are looking for the opportunity to shape Palladium’s climate analytics offering, we want to hear from you!
We pride ourselves on giving you the freedom, resources, and guidance to chart a fulfilling career!
Reporting and Supervision:
This position will report to the Senior Technical Advisor for Data Science in the Data, Informatics, and Analytical Solutions (DIAS) practice and work closely with domain experts in the Climate and Environment practice.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with project leads and domain experts across Palladium Americas to identify opportunities and use cases to incorporate climate analytics during both proposal development and project implementation
- Lead implementation and delivery of analyses for projects, including communication and documentation of work performed
- Develop a climate analytics strategy, with support from the Senior Technical Adviser for Data Science, to guide Palladium activities for the next three years
- Assess and advise on technical infrastructure requirements at Palladium to support climate analytics
- Mentor junior data science staff
Key competencies required:
- Degree in atmospheric science, climate/earth systems science, civil and environmental engineering, or similar fields
- Comprehensive understanding of the inventory of climate data, including but not limited to data accessible through the USGS Earth Explorer, NASA, NOAA, and IPCC.
- Ability to analyze large multidimensional datasets (e.g. NetCDF, GRIB, TIFF files)
- Expertise in the application of climate analytics to at least one of agricultural forecasting, public health, or climate impact assessment
- Strong strategic thinking, leadership, and people skills with ability to engage a broad range of stakeholders in developing appropriate MEL solutions
- Strong business development and client relationship management skills and sound problem solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion - We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or any other circumstance, please email our team at accessibility[email protected]
Safeguarding - We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.