Senior Software Engineer (Scala)
Azavea · Philadelphia, PA (or remote)
Partners & Advocates
Food & Agriculture
Public Service & Civic Engagement
Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development
$120000 - $138000 Per YearPosted 2 weeks ago
Azavea is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Geospatial Technology and Research Team (GTR) and leverage open-source tools to design large-scale data processing pipelines in the cloud. We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company.
- At the Senior Engineer level, individuals consistently assemble solutions to ambiguous problems and debug the most complex issues.
- They frequently operate at a level that maximizes the effectiveness of others around them.
- In addition to being self-sufficient in their engineering responsibilities, engineers at this level are sought after by peers to support a variety of different initiatives such as recruiting at hiring events, presenting in sales meetings, and navigating client complexities.
An ideal candidate will have strong familiarity with a number of big data technologies and service-based architectures, proficiency with Scala, a working understanding of the geospatial domain, and have experience in leading a team on complex engineering projects. Although most of the GTR cohort are located near the Philadelphia area and we welcome nearby colleagues, this position can be fully remote and we are open to candidates from all areas. All remote colleagues are expected to be available for collaboration between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. EST.
What you'll do:
- Build scalable back-end software where performance is critical.
- Implement new features, algorithms, data processing operations, benchmarks, and tests for a large Scala-based software framework.
- Engage in multidisciplinary work that applies an agile process (scrum board, daily stand-ups, and two-week iterations) to design, architecture, development, testing and deployment.
- Contribute to both a growing company and to the open-source communities that support our work.
- Lead technical decisions and execution in software services projects at Azavea.
- Lead technical requirements discovery during business development conversations with potential clients.
- Contribute to proposal writing processes at Azavea by scoping deliverables, providing accurate task estimation, and execution timeline.
- Contribute to direction and features of open source projects maintained by Azavea like GeoTrellis, RasterVision, Franklin, etc.
- Support the development of an open-source community around Azavea projects.
- Collaborate with engineers across teams to advance or refine the use of new technologies beneficial to development work.
- Provide high-quality code reviews that help colleagues learn and improve.
- Provide sound technical advice and weigh in on decisions that impact other teams or at the company level.
- Research new technologies, make thoughtful recommendations, and clearly communicate trade-offs of adoption.
- Identify and proactively tackle technical debt in appropriate areas of your projects.
- Proactively look for opportunities to share knowledge across the company and externally.
- Demonstrate fluency with Scala and Python.
- Have experience with Amazon Web Services, Azure, or another cloud-based architecture.
- Have a firm understanding of services-based architecture and distributed systems.
- Demonstrate the ability to define engineering features and tasks accurately.
- Have a solid track record of executing high-quality code on time into software that works as expected. Desire to continually improve your engineering skills.
- Demonstrate solid communication skills and the ability to work within a team environment.
- Be able to adapt and learn in order to keep innovating on a cutting-edge open-source project.
Additional experience we find valuable (but not required):
- Experience with Spark or other Scala-based distributed processing frameworks.
- Prior work with distributed data processing frameworks, like Hadoop, Storm, Flink, etc.
- Demonstration of open source or other community service contributions.
- Strong background in algorithm development where performance is critical.
- Experience working with medical imagery.
Office and Benefits
Our Philadelphia headquarters is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market, and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, showers, and lockers. The office itself is arranged as an open office plan with many smaller rooms for team meetings and concentration time. You get your own desk with a high-end Linux workstation or Apple laptop and extra monitors. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 - 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, our staff can also spend up to 10% of their time on an open source, professional development, or R&D project. Recent 10% time projects include experiments with machine learning, React Native, and various forms of serverless processing with Amazon Lambda.
We offer a salary commensurate with skills and experience. Azavea's salary for Senior Software Engineers ranges from $120,000-$138,000. Our benefits package includes:
- Fully subsidized health care, dental, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
- Fully subsidized life and long term disability insurance, plus voluntary short term disability insurance
- Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
- Retirement plan with matching percentage
- Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus sick/personal time off
- Family and medical leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Child care subsidy
- Paid time off for voting and volunteering
- Education assistance plan
- Student loan assistance
- Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
- Monthly lunches on the house
- 10% time for Research or Training Projects
- Profit-sharing bonus plan
- Financial transparency through an open book policy
- Kind, capable, and thoughtful colleagues
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.