VP of Product Engineering
Life360 · San Francisco, CA
At Life360 we’re hiring a VP of Product Engineering to join the team. You will be responsible for what is arguably the most critical capability we need to succeed in our next chapter of growth: innovation speed at scale.
About The Role
While this is a senior role so we expect you to be well rounded in all areas, the specific areas of emphasis will be on the following three pillars:
Increase Innovation Speed
You will be responsible for constantly increasing the speed we deliver value to our users. Because we have such a strong foundation and backend, you won’t have to worry as much about crashing the system, and you’ll be able to stay focused on finding ways to quickly innovate across our various touch points (primarily mobile, but also the web, wearables, and smart assistants). You will work closely with the product and design leadership to come up with the quickest and simplest ways to deliver value while also ensuring we keep a high bar for quality.
Deliver an Exceptional User Experience
Because the focus of this role is on product engineering, we want someone who constantly thinks about the user and looks for creative ways engineering can contribute to providing an amazing experience for our customers. While we don’t expect you to be a product designer, we want you to help the team develop strong cross functional ties to product, design, and marketing so we can collectively find the most creative and efficient ways to bring ideas to life. Success here means engineering feels responsible not just for delivering features, but having a role in actually defining and creating them.
Build a High Performing Team
Life360 is thinking big. Although our app is for families, we as a company are more like a professional sports team. We are a highly ambitious company, and we want highly ambitious people. Sometimes as companies grow, the rest and vest mentality creeps in - we are looking to find leaders that will be fanatical about never letting this happen. A huge portion of this role will be ensuring you build a team of A players, with the right person at the right time for each role. Because people emulate their leaders, we want someone whose ambition shines through and will set a high watermark for the team they manage and be a bar raiser for the company as a whole.
Who You Are
- You are an organized self starter and don’t wait to be told what to do. You will be part of our leadership team and thus need to be part of defining your own success.
- You are someone known to raise the bar and have extremely high expectations for the people on your team.
- You are skilled at hiring, building and mentoring world class teams to 50 and beyond and have managed through managers across multiple teams/geos and know how to develop leaders in a fast growth environment.
- You bias to speed and action, and push your team to find creative ways to do more with less.
- You have demonstrated effectiveness across a broad range of areas: project management, roadmap, objectives management, tools & techniques.
- You know how to create a forward looking plan, create and optimize budgets, and succinctly communicate calibrated trade-offs.
- You have a strong background in shipping mobile-first consumer products and working closely with Product, Design and Marketing to balance innovation, speed and quality.
- You have proven experience in developing full stack solutions encompassing cloud, iOS, Android and Web tech stacks infused with data analytics.
- You have deep knowledge of the consumer product ecosystem, tools, technologies and frameworks for highly efficient development.
- You can work fluently in shaping the product roadmap seamlessly while driving appropriate tradeoffs between product, engineering and business objectives.
- You have worked at other companies with a consumer mobile focus so you can resonate with the overall setup of our organization.
- You have been a senior engineering leader as part of a company that has scaled from ~200 to 400+ people.
- You are an active user of our product, so you intuitively understand the value we are providing to our customers.
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental wellness.
- Flexible PTO and 12 company wide days off throughout the year
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership
Although we are headquartered in SF, we have embraced the remote-first world, so we are open to hiring the right person wherever they might be. We would expect you to come to HQ regularly though, and you would need to be able work during business hours in our time zone.
We offer competitive benefits and compensation, and are publicly listed on the ASX (Australian Stock Exchange). We chose this non-traditional funding route instead of doing a late-stage private round because you get the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private one. Our equity is no longer the proverbial lottery ticket — you can sell shares whenever you want. We plan to move back to US markets in the next couple of years.