Senior Microservice Engineer
Kiva · U.S. Remote
Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Through Kiva Capital, we serve as a bridge between large scale impact first investors and underserved populations. Our digital identity platform enables borrowers who don’t have a track record with traditional financial institutions to record and verify their financial history and gain access to less costly mainstream financial markets.
Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.66 billion in loan capital for 4.1 million borrowers in 77 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
As a Senior Microservice Engineer, you will help lead our migration to a new asynchronous event based microservice architecture. We’re looking for someone up to the challenge of helping to redesign the engine that powers our peer to peer microfinance platform. This work will lay the foundation that enables Kiva to unlock the next level of impact on expanding financial inclusion in the world. To be successful in this role you’ll need to bring both your deep technical skills and your ability to work and communicate effectively with your engineering teammates and stakeholders in the broader organization.
This role is open to both remote candidates based in the United States and candidates local to our Portland or San Francisco offices, and will report to an Engineering Manager based in Portland. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and build JVM (Kotlin) microservices and APIs that run in Docker containers on a Kubernetes cluster.
- Create asynchronous pipelines and service-orchestration systems using Kafka and similar technologies
- Enable communication between new-stack microservices and our existing PHP monolith, and drive monolith decomposition
- Leverage AWS and open source technologies to create resilient, scalable, loosely coupled services for distributed transaction processing, core business logic, and machine learning to support Kiva’s mission and new products
- Partner with our SRE team to design implement best-of-breed devops tooling, observability and automation
- Collaborate effectively with teammates and stakeholders within a culture of mutual respect and support, learning, growth and ownership
- Experience with event driven architecture (using Kafka or similar)
- Experience working with complex ecommerce systems
- Experience with Spring Boot/Spring Framework
- Experience with LAMP Stack or similar (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP)
- Experience with container based development (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Experience with continuous deployment
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS)
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
- Salary range for Colorado: $115K - $130K
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.