Common Sense Media · San Francisco, CA or Remote
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent, age-based, and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Target.com, Xfinity, Apple TV, and many other partner platforms helping families make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Developer to operate as a full-stack engineer and join a team of developers, QA engineers, product managers, and UX designers who work closely with UI designers led by a creative director. This role will help build and maintain all things client-facing and will help translate our organizational and customer needs into functionally seamless, and appealing, interactive applications. Creating a great user experience is a focal point of this role, and the ideal candidate is curious about new digital technologies and stays abreast of coding best practices, but there are also likely to be back-end tasks and problems to solve. This role will collaborate with a top-notch team of developers on a feature-rich, responsive site and help build personalized and social site experiences to connect members with each other and the rest of the world.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA (remote available)
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Chief Product & Technology Officer
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
You'll be issued a Mac laptop for local development (you may use Linux as well), use GitHub for version control, and work using a Docker instance that emulates servers hosted with Pantheon. We primarily code to Drupal standards and strive toward industry best practices; however, we also use the latest API-driven methodologies embraced by Drupal 9 and frameworks such as React. Our engineers take pride and ownership in our projects, working closely with the product team and other stakeholders to build something that is rock-solid and easily maintained. You'll have the opportunity to help shape the product you're working on and have your voice heard.
You will be working on high-traffic websites that get millions of users a month, including:
- Common Sense Media (www.commonsensemedia.org): The platform that hosts reviews, advice, and more for parents and caregivers.
- Common Sense Education (www.commonsense.org/education): Designed to help pre-K–12 educators discover, use, and share the best apps, games, websites, and digital curricula for their students. Also contains classroom teaching materials, professional development, and teaching resources for educators and school administrators.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency writing standards-compliant HTML5 and CSS3.
- Understanding of current front-end and mobile development best practices, including responsive design, touch interfaces, performance optimization, and progressive enhancement.
- Experience working with source control with Git.
- Experience working in a LAMP stack with PHP skills.
THE X FACTOR:
- Experience developing in Drupal 7 or 8 with custom modules and themes for Drupal; Drupal 9 experience is a plus (we are launching Drupal 9 versions of our sites in the coming months).
- Experience with TDD (test-driven development).
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices.
- Experience using CSS preprocessors such as LESS, SASS, and/or Compass.
- Experience with mobile-first responsive design, leveraging atomic design with our in-house Common Kit.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, hardworking, and a total team player. Communicating effectively with cross-functional teams and writing clear documentation.
- Organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines.
- Deeply inspired by the Common Sense mission to help kids and families.
- Able to work autonomously and not afraid to share your opinion when discussing technical approaches. Willing to learn new tools and approaches to complex problems.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with a great team of talented, passionate developers and product people who have worked together for a long time and love what they're doing.
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.