GIS Data Analyst
Kairos Aerospace · Mountain View, CA/Remote (USA)
Data + Analytics
Clean EnergyPosted 3 days ago
About Kairos Aerospace
At Kairos Aerospace, we combine innovative aerospace systems with advanced data science. Unlike traditional aerospace companies, we sell information, not hardware - we operate our sensors cost-effectively at continental scale to produce novel data streams about pressing global problems.
First on our list: spotting hard-to-monitor emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that accelerates climate change. Since starting continuous survey operations in 2018, Kairos has removed methane emissions equal to over 9.2 million tonnes of CO2e through our work. To put that in perspective, that’s equivalent to over 2 million cars being removed from the roads for a year or shutting down about seventeen 350 MW coal-fired power plants.
We call that a good start.
As a team, we love science and engineering, we love getting our hands dirty with hardware and software, and we love seeing our work make a difference in the real world.
We’ve created a diverse, collaborative, supportive, and fun environment based on integrity and treating people right. So no matter your gender, gender identity, race, age, beliefs, sexual orientation, or disabilities, we welcome you and would like to work with you. :-)
It’s never boring, it’s always challenging, and we’re usually laughing.
GIS Data Analyst
Kairos GIS Data Analysts work to transform our collected data into the products that we deliver to our clients. In addition to analyzing our geospatial data, they collaborate with Flight Operations to optimize our data collection and work with Customer Engagement to prepare data for our customer reports. GIS Data Analysts will also have the opportunity to contribute meaningfully to our data analysis and software processes and organization, helping us improve how we collect, analyze, and deliver data.
We primarily use QGIS and custom web apps to work with our geospatial data and command-line tools to generate our data products.
Remote candidates are encouraged to apply, though we can only consider those that are currently authorized to work in the United States and are planning to reside in the United States during their employment.
- 4-year degree or equivalent experience in a technical discipline
- Familiar with GIS tools
- Familiar with Python
- Familiar with UNIX/Linux
- Conscientious and detail-oriented perspective
- Fast learner
- Able to communicate analysis findings, bug reports, and ideas for workflow improvements to technical personnel
- Atmospheric Science background (weather modeling)
- Creative problem solver
Life at Kairos
A few important facts about working at Kairos Aerospace:
- We provide health, dental, and vision insurance, including subsidized coverage for dependents. Our 401K plan does matching based on the amount of methane we removed from the atmosphere in a given year.
- We think death-march hours are a bad way to run a company. We expect something approximating a 40-hour workweek, but mostly we just care that your work gets done. No, really. (Full disclosure: we occasionally put in some extra hours during crunch periods, but that is the exception, not the norm).
- We do not track vacation time, nor do we have set hours to be in the office. Instead, we encourage taking real vacations, mental health days, leaving early to pick up the kids, working from home, time-shifting commutes, staying home when you're sick, ducking out to the gym - we believe work time should be flexible.
In this time of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have transitioned to 100% remote work aside from hardware and flight operations and plan to continue having remote positions in perpetuity.
(We love it when kids make a cameo in a video call.)