NYC Mayor’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer · New York, NY
The NYC Digital Service believes that good products are born from a good team. The Product Manager we are looking for is a morale-builder, someone who is keen on building good and healthy culture, and at the same time knows how to deliver great products effectively.
As Product Manager and a founding member of the NYC Digital Service, you set the tone on what a healthy, service-focused, team looks like. We want someone who is excited about building great technology alongside our partners, someone who understands that the success of our partner-agencies means success for all New Yorkers.
A normal day for the Product Manager would be running the daily stand-up, at the same time coordinating and checking in with partner-agencies. You will be part of the software development life cycle, from the discovery phase down to QA Testing. You will be focused on making sure product development is on schedule, from discovery phase down to getting systems approval and security accreditation.
You will also be in various strategy meetings with the Asst. Director of Engineering, Director of DesignLab, as well as senior leadership. You will be in meetings with various stakeholders, in some days it will be all meetings – either checking in, getting coffee, strategizing, or celebrating a huge win. You will be building relationships both internally and externally — the NYC Digital Service believes that everything moves at the speed of trust, and it is your job to earn and maintain stakeholders’ trust.
Your vision will be key in the NYC Digital Service’s goal of fomenting digital transformation in New York City. The NYC Digital Service believes that iterative user-centered processes maximize the odds of success for our partners. If you are excited about using agile methodologies and product management tools in delivering impactful digital products at scale, click to apply below.
- Oversee the product team, including the Lead Web Developer and Web Developer, in order to deliver modern digital services at low cost;
- Utilize agile methodologies and product management tools;
- Test products and new features to confirm usability and identify bugs;
- Contribute to product strategy and success metrics, including Key Performance Indicator (KPI) models, analytics, and more;
- Design and perform quality assurance (QA) testing of products;
- Collaborate in the creation of product development and management documents, including roadmaps, project briefs, and user stories;
- Learn new languages, frameworks, and tools as required by the product;
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally with teammates (including the Lead Web Developer, Lead Backend Developer, Web Developer, and Data Scientist) and leadership;
- Perform special technology-related projects, as assigned.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience, including in high-pressure, entrepreneurial environments;
- High comfort and familiarity with DevOps best practices;
- Experience with and willingness to implement pair programming;
- Familiarity with open-source libraries and tools;
- Experience deploying cloud-based applications;
- Expertise in agile development methodologies;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
- A growth mindset.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 24 credits in the field of voice and/or data telecommunications or in a pertinent scientific, technical, electronic or related area, and four years of satisfactory full-time experience in the performance of analytical, planning, operational, technical, or administrative duties in a voice and/or data telecommunications or closely related electronics planning, management, and/or service organization, one year of which must have been in a highly specialized capacity and 18 months must have been in an executive, managerial, or administrative capacity or in the supervision of staff performing work in the voice and/or data telecommunications field; or
- An associate degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 12 credits in the field of voice and/or data telecommunications or in a pertinent, scientific, technical, electronic or related area and five years of experience as described in “1” above; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and one year of the specialized experience as described in “1” above and must possess the 18 months of executive, managerial, administrative or supervisory experience as described in “1” above.
- NYC residency*
*New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.