Associate Product Manager
DonorsChoose · New York, NY or Remote in the United States
DonorsChoose is looking for a data-driven Associate Product Manager to play a critical role in improving our product experience. As a key contributor to our organization’s success, you’ll work closely with our entire team (including designers, developers, user researchers, and stakeholders across the organization) throughout the product lifecycle to prioritize features, drive product development, and iterate to deliver an incredible experience for our teachers and donors. Our ideal candidate is a strong data analyst and loves seeing projects through to the finish.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate closely with our engineers, designers, and UX researchers to scope, build, and launch new features and product improvements.
- Analyze data to monitor site health, feature success, and A/B tests to ensure we’re meeting our business goals.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders around our org and advocate for their needs in the product.
- Help inform strategy and prioritization with our product leadership team.
- Define product requirements and manage project implementation.
What we’re looking for:
- 1+ year of web & mobile product management experience or training in an APM program.
- Familiarity with web analytics and event data (Heap, Mixpanel, Amplitude, Google Analytics, or equivalent). Extra credit for more sophisticated data analysis tools like Looker, Tableau, etc.
- Comfort in ambiguity - when there isn’t a clear path forward you can experiment and take risks to help us find clarity.
- Tech-savviness - you enjoy detailed conversations with developers and are quick to pick-up new tools.
- You're organized, efficient, know how to ruthlessly prioritize and wrangle many stakeholders.
- Excellent self-management skills and ability to work independently.
- Strong beliefs loosely held — advocate for your point of view, but be open to having your mind changed.
- A passion for education, equity, or social good.
The Product and Engineering team at DonorsChoose does important mission-driven work, helping to address educational inequity in US public schools, but we operate more like a fast-paced startup than a traditional nonprofit (we ship weekly!). The product manager will join our team (1 other PM, 2 product designers, 2 UX researchers) to improve the on-site experience for our user base of donors and public school teachers, directly impacting the educational outcomes for students across the US.
DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $970 million for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose. one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent technical roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
In compliance with the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, candidates from Colorado may inquire about the salary range for this role by completing this form. A member of our Talent team will contact you with more information.
Hybrid Workplace and Other Details
In this role, you’ll have the option to work a flexible hybrid schedule in our NYC office, or to work as a fully remote employee within the United States.
DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and if you choose to submit one, we'd love to hear about your favorite teacher in school! Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.