Voter Protection Analyst
The Democratic National Committee · Remote
Data + Analytics
Public Service & Civic Engagement
$80000 Per YearPosted 3 weeks ago
The Democratic National Committee is hiring a Voter Protection Data Analyst to support state parties and campaigns around the country to ensure that every eligible voter is able to cast a ballot this November.
The Data Analyst will build and maintain reports, conduct strategic analysis and provide technical guidance to support our voter protection programs. From tracking voter roll purges to tracking mail-in ballots to managing specialized voter protection volunteer recruitment, this role will have a tremendous impact on helping millions of voters successfully cast ballots all across the country. You’ll be part of the technical team that partners with the Civic Engagement and Voter Protection (CEVP) department to optimize our voter protection efforts for this crucial midterms cycle. You will also be working in close coordination with technical and programmatic peers and leadership with sister committees, states and campaigns.
Who we are:
The DNC Program Analytics team sits within the Technology department at the DNC. We are a team of analysts and technologists focused on improving the DNC’s strategic programs from national field organizing to grassroots fundraising to voter protection. As a member of this newer team, you will have the opportunity to shape our mandate and broaden our impact. As part of the overall Tech team, you will be working with a fully remote, distributed team living in 19 states and from a variety of backgrounds. We value diversity in perspective and believe deeply in the promise of building technology infrastructure that will support campaigns from cycle to cycle and will improve with every iteration.
The Civic Engagement and Voter Protection Team works to ensure that every eligible voter can cast a ballot and have that ballot counted. They work towards this goal by investing in staff, volunteers and technology based tools. Utilizing data with the desire to use such information, tools, products, and trends to help Democrats leverage data in their decision-making is critical to helping Democrats fight suppression tactics and win elections up and down the ballot.
Who you are:
We're focused on equipping candidates and campaigns around the country with the data and analytics resources they need to win, and are looking for an Analyst with a wide range of skill sets, grounded in analytics expertise, to help us tackle numerous projects. Among other things, in this role you could help us:
- Lead core Voter Protection reporting. Maintain, augment, and optimize core Google Data Studio reporting to empower Voter Protection Directors across the country to gain key insight into program performance and capacity allocation.
- Analyze key voter protection trends and KPIs. Surface voting behavior insights to drive programmatic strategy during and after the election cycle. For example, conduct an analysis of voting questions from our Election Hotline to identify issue trends by geography. Serve as a technical and strategic thought leader.
- Partner with internal and external technical and programmatic peers to align programs with technology, leverage shared resources, and ensure consistent data practices.
You might be right for this role if:
- Have experience working with data in a political context;
- Are comfortable diving into new, messy datasets, and structuring them to allow quick analysis and insights;
- Are highly proficient in SQL (familiarity with SQL in BigQuery is a plus)Have experience with a business intelligence tool or data visualization platform (e.g. Tableau, Looker, Periscope, Google Data Studio);
- Direct experience with Google Data Studio is a plus. Have experience with VAN/ Votebuilder (familiarity with VAN’s data model is a plus);
- Familiarity with one or more of the following: Python, R, workflow management tools (e.g. Airflow, dbt);
- Have excellent stakeholder management skills and a track record of building consensus around technical concepts;
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills, and experience explaining technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences; and,
- Are curious, collaborative, and humble – ready to work with a diverse, distributed team to solve interesting problems together.
The salary is $80,000 on an annualized basis.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employee and dependants.
The DNC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to succeed at the DNC. The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DNC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DNC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. We welcome applicants with questions about accommodations to request to speak with our Human Resources Department. When an applicant with a disability requires an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing our Human Resources Department.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time; and,
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may also frequently be required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders.
You must receive the full course of one of the CDC-recommended vaccinations against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.