Helm · Remote - Nationwide
Helm believes that a more equitable world will be built by people with organizing superpowers. To achieve this vision, we are building one seamless and intuitive platform that integrates data, tools, and experiences to give anyone those superpowers. We are designing and executing experiments to better understand human civic behavior, determine which interventions drive impact, and scale them toward a more participatory democracy. Our customers are organizations engaged in political and social advocacy that drive big change over the long-term using a portfolio of strategies on a multi-partisan basis. Most importantly, our customers believe that people organizing in their communities are the ultimate agents of durable change.
Issue advocates and organizers are our inspiration. Building with and for them is our mission. We are assembling a team that shares values with, learns alongside, and stands with the people who are doing the work to change the nation. So if you're highly motivated, super passionate about democracy, and want to join a team that is looking to build great things together, Helm may be for you. Helm is a remote-first company.
A curious, engaged product manager who takes the initiative and values empathy, problem-solving, and impact. You are excited about creating a more participatory democracy and lowering the barriers and friction associated with civic engagement. You have the skills to translate your excitement into product velocity and a positive, empowering company culture. You’re a leader – eager to motivate a collaborative, cross-disciplinary team to build powerful, delightful products. You default toward action and ownership, and you’re comfortable making (and communicating) judgment calls in the context of incomplete information.
About the Role
As the Product Manager leading a key element of Helm’s flagship enterprise platform, you'll work with a talented team to build user flows related to core platform experiences like campaign management, billing, and our external API – as well as metrics and analytics for the platform. You'll discover what users value most and help translate those learnings into production. Ultimately, you'll have helped lead the development of the most effective and intuitive platform for issue and political organizing.
You’ll join our team of Product Managers developing a family of mobile and web consumer and enterprise applications – all focused on driving increased civic engagement. Through your work to build a platform, you'll directly contribute to the strengthening of our democracy and have a measurable impact in critical upcoming elections..
What You’ll Do:
- Lead cross-functional technical teams to develop and deploy an engaging, empowering, intuitive platform. Demonstrate sound judgment in tactical and strategic prioritization: when to say “no,” when to double-down, and when to try something new
- Work closely with users and key partners to deeply understand their pain points and priorities, creating a rapid innovation process to synthesize user input and Helm’s vision into features, functional requirements, and a living backlog
- Lead product discovery and research efforts for core application architecture and navigation, integrating partner priorities, app usage metrics, external/market research, and experience-driven intuition to identify opportunities and drivers of value
- Build strong relationships with Design, Research, Revenue, and Engineering, identifying the need for and leading discussions around new ideas, priorities, metrics, and goals
- Develop and maintain a product roadmap and backlog that maximizes value to users while hitting key milestones, making the hard decisions about prioritization and 80-20 tradeoffs
- Develop a perspective rigorously, then champion that viewpoint across the organization. Communicate updates, learnings, risks, opportunities, and decision points to align senior leadership and stakeholders on ongoing work. Provide effective written and verbal updates on the product roadmap and key projects
- Collaborate with the data team to leverage Helm’s Civic Graph data in new features and insights: granular individual-level characteristics, model scores, and polling data
Skills you probably have:
Talented product managers come in all shapes and sizes. If you’re passionate about technology and democracy, please apply, even if you don’t check every box.
- 1+ years’ experience as a product manager or founder, ideally on a B2B SaaS or data-centric product
- Experience working directly with users to deeply understand their problems and translate them into product requirements. You’ve learned to ask the right questions of the right people at the right time in the development cycle
- A bias for action and an entrepreneurial, proactive mindset: the ability to thrive working in fast-paced climates (e.g. startup or similar)
- Data-competence: conceptual familiarity with data architecture and the ability to get hands-on with databases and data analysis (e.g. SQL/NoSQL)
- Experience working on technical/backend products, like APIs or ETL pipelines
- Strong judgment and analytical skills, including the ability to understand business requirements, integrate qualitative and quantitative metrics, and reconcile short-term needs with long-term strategic goals
Skills you might have:
- Previous startup experience, especially in civic/political tech
- Experience working with campaigns, advocacy organizations/nonprofits, and/or existing products in the political ecosystem
- Hands-on experience with user centered design (wireframing, storyboarding, user flow development)
- Experience with messaging protocols and platforms (like email, text messaging, or chat services)
- Experience in profile-based systems (like CRMs), especially related to audience segmentation and analysis
- Experience selecting metrics and frameworks to translate user behavior into actionable insights and roadmap decisions
Helm is an equal opportunity employer that encourages diversity across all spectrums in its hiring, without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor. With that being said, we wouldn't be able to accommodate candidates in need of work sponsorship at this time since we are a small company. If you find this role interesting and you hit on the elements above, please apply!