Associate Product Designer
Grow Progress · Remote
Grow Progress is hiring an associate product designer to help build cutting-edge persuasion technology for social good.
We’re looking for an up-and-coming product designer who wants to help pioneer a new approach to persuasion: giving our customers the power to persuade more people based on how they think — not just how they look.
If you want to make a big social impact and grow your skill set by building products from the ground up, we hope you’ll apply.
Who We Are
We’ve built powerful software that offers our customers unprecedented access to run scientific message tests quickly and affordably, so they can unlock the most effective messages. This capability powers campaigns, causes, and companies that make the world a better place. We currently work with some of the biggest Democratic pollsters, marketing agencies, advocacy groups, and labor unions in the country.
Grow Progress gives our customers the power to persuade more people by tailoring their messages to match each audience member’s identity. We help customers harness the latest persuasion science to create messaging that’s typically 200% to 500% more effective than their existing ads. We do this by predicting which personality traits and values are most important to each individual.
We’re a team of experienced campaigners, storytellers, and data scientists who are obsessed with harnessing the power of evidence to make social good advocates more effective. We’re ambitious, efficient, low-ego, and we like to make each other laugh.
About the Position
- This position reports to the lead product designer and will interface with both of our product development teams.
- Each product development team works closely together in biweekly sprints to plan, build, and iterate on their products.
- In addition to executing on design and user research, our first Associate Product Designer is encouraged to:
- learn new tools and frameworks
- be proactive about picking up projects that interest them
- build strong partnerships with stakeholders across the company, especially in engineering and client strategy
- participate in team discussions
- feel comfortable disagreeing and discussing ideas related to product and technical decisions
- pitch new ideas and technologies
- give kudos to their colleagues for the awesome work they are doing
You’re early in your design career and are eager to join a team where you can explore the whole wide world of product design. Ambiguity excites you, and so does making stuff; you’re committed to being iterative and experimental, but ready to use data to back up your decisions; you’re prepared to have strong opinions and to express them, but you understand your role as the facilitator, engager, and synthesizer; you’re constantly thinking about frameworks and processes that will help align your team while centering the user.
In addition to your hard skills, you also bring an above-average amount of empathy to your work. You think deeply about others and are committed to continually improving the ways you communicate and build relationships both with users and your coworkers. You are the person in the room who is thinking the most about those with the least; you dream of a more accessible, inclusive, and equitable world and are constantly envisioning ways to build towards it.
In this role, you’ll be practicing product design as a full-stack sport. You will conduct user research, design new features, and work with product and engineering to bring new products to the market. You’ll become a pro at tools like Figma and Miro (if you’re not already!).
You’ll bring the following:
- A portfolio of projects that demonstrate your experience working across the product development lifecycle from user research to prototyping to implementation
- Strong visual design skills and aesthetic taste. A demonstrated mastery of fundamental graphic design such as color, composition, typography, and visual hierarchy
- Intermediate experience with product design software such as Figma, Sketch, or Creative Suite and a knack for picking up new tools quickly
- A proven commitment to clear, inclusive communication and experience collaborating with all kinds of people
- A passion for politics and progressive change
- Current U.S. work authorization
Bonus skills and experience/Opportunities for growth:
- A gift for facilitating collaborative, engaging design exercises remotely
- Academic or real-world familiarity with polling, political psychology, scientific experimentation, and/or political campaigns
- Technological experience with survey platforms, performance marketing, and/or ad testing
The Hiring Process
Hiring for this position is completed in a few basic phases, and we’ve designed the process to be quick and nimble depending on when you apply.
Please also keep in mind that each interview below will be conducted over Zoom and will include time for you to ask the interviewer(s) questions about Grow Progress and the position. Towards the end of the process, you'll have the opportunity to ask questions to other members of the team.
Phase 1: Portfolio Review: After applying, our team will review the portfolios of candidates with strong resumes. In order for us to effectively evaluate each portfolio, candidates should make sure their portfolio includes at least two case studies or sample projects and plenty of visuals to help us understand their abilities as a designer.
Phase 2: Hiring Manager Interview (~25 minutes): This step is an interview with the hiring manager in which all candidates will be asked the same ~6 questions.
Phase 3: Design Exercise (~1 hour): In this phase, we are looking to see how candidates approach hard problems and the design process. A small panel of people from our team will provide a prompt and ask candidates to whiteboard a design solution using a tool of their choosing.
Phase 4: Behavioral Interview (~45 minutes): This step is an interview with a panel of 2-3 people from our team in which all candidates will be asked the same ~10 questions.
Phase 5: Final Interview (~ 30 minutes): This is a final interview with the CEO after which an offer may be made.
Read more about the interview process and expectations of the hiring manager in this blog post.
More About Grow Progress
We believe that inclusion and equity are the keys to a better future. We center these issues by creating accessible and affordable products, partnering with progressive organizations, and building transparency across our company.
We strive to foster belonging and empowerment at work and we continuously examine our efforts through our Growing Progress DEI&B working group. We are committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, skills, and experiences. Our goal is to create a workplace where every person feels supported and encouraged to thrive.
Our culture is fun, fast-paced, and focused on evidence. We aim to cultivate an environment where creative hypotheses and evidence drive our decisions rather than just anecdotes, and where everyone feels comfortable contributing ideas — even if it’s on a topic outside of their expertise. We work hard to get smarter together by giving each other feedback that’s direct, actionable, and respectful. We’re deeply motivated by the work we do and committed to using this technology ethically, so we’re looking for teammates who feel the same way.
We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. Qualified people of any race, ethnicity, culture, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, social class, marital status, religion, veteran status, or disability status are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $70,000 - $85,000 plus equity, depending on skill level and experience. Company benefits include a company-sponsored health insurance plan (also dental and vision coverage), a flexible PTO plan, and a 401(k) with employer matching, among others.
Location: Remote within the United States.
To Apply: Fill out the form at the link below. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.