Government Data Researcher
Helm · Remote - Nationwide
Helm believes that a more equitable world will be built by people with organizing superpowers. To achieve this vision, we are building one seamless and intuitive platform that integrates data, tools, and experiences to give anyone those superpowers. We are designing and executing experiments to better understand human civic behavior, determine which interventions drive impact, and scale them toward a more participatory democracy. Our customers are organizations engaged in political and social advocacy that drive big change over the long-term using a portfolio of strategies on a multi-partisan basis. Most importantly, our customers believe that people organizing in their communities are the ultimate agents of durable change.
Issue advocates and organizers are our inspiration. Building with and for them is our mission. We are assembling a team that shares values with, learns alongside, and stands with the people who are doing the work to change the nation. So if you're highly motivated, super passionate about democracy, and want to join a team that is looking to build great things together, Helm may be for you. Helm is a remote-first company.
You are someone who is curious about the mechanics and structures of government, how offices and staffs interact with each other to create policy. You are interested in learning about which staff member has moved from where to where, the career trajectories from think tank to government office to lobbying firm to advocacy group, how people move around and what that says about American government and policy making. Maybe people come to you to ask questions about what’s happening in the news, you’re good at seeing the individual components of massive social trends. You’re good at thinking about facts, and never afraid to ask questions. Maybe you have a past or future in journalism, forensic accounting or other kind of jobs where you build paper trails.
About the Role
The core of our tools is information, different people have to build different parts of the offering. The Government Data Researcher is someone who will work on the Government Ontology part of our data sets: you will find out who works for which offices, what things they work on and how to get hold of them. We always encourage people to contact their representatives, and you will be making it possible for them to do so!
Everything that we do is built on high quality, high fidelity information. Whether it’s information about flood zones, who voted in which elections, the distribution of medical care facilities or how many district offices a Member of Congress has, our approach to empowerment is built on providing good information to users and giving them the tools to act on it.
What You’ll Do:
- Look up government officials and staff on websites, compile their contact information and issue portfolios
- Make phone calls to offices to verify names, titles, contact information, and fill in missing information
- Complete and track FOIA requests
- On occasion, conduct a site visit to an office to collect information
- Use web scraping tools to gather information in bulk
Skills you should have:
- Passion for civic engagement, campaigns, and equitability
- Attention to detail—our work relies on the accuracy of your research!
- Excellent time management and organizing skills with the ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Effective communication skills with experience engaging with a variety of individuals
- Patience and fortitude in seeking out the right individuals and information
- Comfort navigating ambiguity
- A bias for action and the ability to thrive working in start-up or similar environments
Skills you might have:
- Willingness to learn or use web scraping tools
- Experience with SQL or scripting languages to add information to databases
Helm is an equal opportunity employer that encourages diversity across all spectrums in its hiring, without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor. With that being said, we wouldn't be able to accommodate candidates in need of work sponsorship at this time since we are a small company. If you find this role interesting and you hit on the elements above, please apply!