Binti · Oakland, CA/Remote
Human Rights & EqualityPosted 3 weeks ago
Ruby on Rails
Since launching in 2017, Binti has helped over 40,000 families get approved to foster and/or adopt children. Binti partners with county and state governments as well as private agencies across 27 states to improve the foster care system. The 190+ agencies using Binti serve about 22% of children in child welfare in the US. On average, agencies using Binti have increased the number of approved families by 80%, making a real dent in the shortage of foster/adoptive parents for children in the US. Beyond helping families foster/adopt children, Binti is launching software to support families who are struggling to get the services they need to stay together with or reunify with their children.
We’re a team of 80+ people and the Binti Family is growing quickly. We have a huge, ambitious vision to help every child have a family and rewire government to be more effective in order to expand opportunity for people around the world. We care about creating a workplace where everyone feels welcome and can bring their full self to work. We are looking for mission-driven, high empathy, high performance, low ego team members to join us on this exciting journey.
Binti is a for-profit, mission-driven software company based in Oakland, CA. Investors include Founders Fund, First Round Capital, Kapor Capital, and others.
Join us as we strive to reinvent child welfare, and make a difference one community at a time.
Binti currently has three products - Licensing, Placements, and Case Management. There are engineering teams to specifically support these products, as well as ones to accelerate Binti growth through improving our platform. Our product is built on Ruby on Rails and React, backed by a Postgres database, hosted on Google Cloud, and orchestrated with Kubernetes.
Example projects for this role: building a portal for older youth in the child welfare system, contributing to a project to capture child relationships to improve their interconnectedness, maintaining the geocoding system that allows us to map foster homes.
Location: This role is open to candidates in the San Francisco Bay Area (our office is in Oakland - and you would have the option to work from the office when it is safe to do so), or US-based, fully remote candidates who are open to working core engineering hours (10:00 am - 4:00 pm PT) for real-time collaboration with the team.
What you will do:
- Collaborate with Product Management to scope and execute on product features while furthering Binti’s values.
- Focus on longevity of the codebase - notice and advocate for patterns that allow code to be flexible, scalable, and approachable to other engineers
- Help our team move quickly and learn while maintaining a welcoming and supportive culture
- Push our product so it continues to be a beautiful, yet intuitive and accessible interface for users from all walks of life
- Build internal tools to help our technical account management team customize Binti for individual child welfare agencies.
- Maintain HIPAA compliance for sensitive data that is shared with us
Who you are and what we will love about you:
- At least 2 years of professional software engineering experience
- A self-motivated, independent engineer who can own projects from inception to completion
- Solid programming foundation in at least one programming language and experience with software development workflows (version control, testing, code review).
- End-to-end experience building, shipping, and maintaining products
- Growth mindset: excited to level up themselves and bring everyone else along for the ride
- Sense of urgency: focus on making incremental progress and unblocking themselves and others.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ruby, Rails, React, and/or GraphQL experience a plus
Perks and Benefits
- An above-market compensation package (Base + Equity)
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and life insurance - 99% of insurance premiums covered for you + your dependents
- Flexible vacation time to promote a healthy work-life blend, targeting 20 days/year
- 16 weeks of paid parental bonding leave for the arrival of a newborn or newly placed infant
- 13 paid holidays; 11 Federally observed holidays (including Juneteenth), plus the day after Thanksgiving and Election Day
- Sick/Mental Health time separate from vacation days (72 hours)
- 4 weeks of sabbatical after 4 years of service at the company
- 401(k) with 100% match of contributions up to 4% of your annual salary
- Commuter benefits, FSA, and DCSA with administration paid for
- Remote home office setup includes $1000 reimbursement
- $5,000 annual bonus for employees who volunteer as a CASA (court-appointed special advocates)
- $2,500 annual reimbursement for ongoing learning and development, with opportunities to attend trainings/conferences, on-site speaker series, and lunch and learns
- $1,000 reimbursement for virtual home office setup
- $100/month remote work stipend to cover internet, electricity, or home office setup costs, or $250/month for a co-working space
- Weekly reimbursement for lunch with coworkers - virtually or at our Oakland office
- Paid Jury Duty
At Binti, we celebrate having a diverse team and believe our differences make us stronger. Binti is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.