Principal AI Engineer
Bowery Farming · New York, NY
Data + Analytics
Food & AgriculturePosted 3 weeks ago
Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. We build smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models, and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture. For more insight on our culture, our teams, and all the things that make us so unique, check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast.
About The Role:
Data Science at Bowery means building production-facing data products which automate the agricultural and operational functions in our network of indoor vertical farms. The Data & AI function at Bowery is central to the vision of the company as well as its day to day operation. You’ll work with our team of data scientists and analysts as well as agricultural scientists and supply chain managers who bring domain expertise to our data-driven solutions.
What You'll Do:
- You’ll use machine learning and computer vision to help us understand how our crops and grow system and to efficiently direct human attention in our farms.
- You'll combine agricultural considerations with production demands to maximize plant growth and fulfillment probability.
- You’ll create innovative quantitative solutions and advance the state of indoor farming alongside mechanical engineers, agricultural scientists, and the farm operations team.
- You'll analyze historical data related to crop growth and environmental characteristics to forecast yields for future harvests and uncover insights about ways conditions can be optimized.
- You'll help shape the way our data science team does work - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
- You'll work alongside software engineers to implement data processing and visualization systems that make data readily available and simplify how insights are communicated.
- You won’t target ads, optimize signup funnels, or recommend anything for anyone to click on.
Who You Are:
- You have a strong mathematical background in probability, statistics, and optimization algorithms.
- You’ve got experience deploying machine learning models to production to make real decisions, then measuring the impact of these decisions.
- You have a deep understanding of and have applied various machine learning techniques for solving real-world problems.
- You are fluent in Python and enjoy building software the team can depend on.
- You are proficient with SQL and can work “full stack” to integrate solutions with our data ecosystem.
- You are energized by translating business, operations, and agricultural questions into data science problems, solving those problems, and interpreting the output back into clear outcomes.
- You are confident in taking ownership of projects from start to finish and enjoy the process of turning nebulous ideas into reality.
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential.
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators.
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm.
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. To date, we have raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill.
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.