Skylight · Remote
Skylight is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding.
What you’ll do:
- Engineer a software product as part of a cross-functional team, which includes user experience researchers and designers, product managers, engineers, and other functional specialists
- Achieve technical excellence by advocating for and adhering to lean-agile engineering principles and practices such as API-first design, simple design, continuous integration, version control, and automated testing
- Select and use the right tools, frameworks, languages, and technologies for the job, with a preference for open-source solutions
- Analyze systems to identify technical debt, instability, unreliability, and other opportunities for improvement, and design, document, and communicate solutions
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- In-depth knowledge of computer science
- Expertise in relational databases such as PostgreSQL
- Expertise creating and consuming APIs
- Expertise using version control systems such as GitHub
- Expertise setting up and using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins and Maven
- Ability to author developer-friendly documentation such as API documentation and deployment operations
- Proven ability to apply good software engineering principles and practices
- Ability to select and use the best tools for the job, particularly open-source solutions
- Ability to communicate clearly to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary, agile team format
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values
- Ability to travel from time to time (when it's safe)
Don’t meet 100% of the criteria but think you can do the job? We’d love to chat anyway! We’re on a mission to build diverse teams, and studies have shown that women and marginalized folks are less likely to apply to jobs if they don’t check every box.
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Dependent care FSA, healthcare FSA, health savings account
- Dollar-for-dollar 401(k) match up to 10% of your salary
- Paid time off, including 15 accrued vacation days, 11 federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, and flexible sick leave
- Minimum of 9 weeks paid time off for all eligible new birth, adoption, or foster parents
- Performance rewards, including annual salary increase, annual performance bonus, spot bonuses, and stock options
- Business development / sales bonuses
- Referral bonuses
- Annual $2,000 allowance for professional development
- Annual $750 allowance for tech-related purchases
- Annual swag budget of $100 to display your Skylight pride with some merchandise (hoodies, hats, and more)
- Dollar-for-dollar charity donation matching, up to $500 per year
- Access up to $1,000 before payday to cover emergency expenses
- Remote-friendly work environment
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
We participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
We're an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.