Senior Engineering Manager
Swiftly · Remote
Human Rights & EqualityPosted 2 weeks ago
User Experience Design (UX)
Swiftly is a mission-driven company and a big data platform for transportation. The platform weaves data analytics, intuitive visualizations, and real-time predictive technologies into applications that drive smarter decisions for public transit agencies. Today, over 5,500 transit professionals in over 100 cities across the globe use Swiftly to improve transportation for over 1.5 billion passenger trips per year.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
About the Role
Swiftly is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager who will play a pivotal role in scaling our rapidly growing Engineering team. At Swiftly, the role of Engineering Management is to build collaborative, self-sufficient, results-driven product teams while supporting growth of direct reports. Our product teams are comprised of engineers, designers, UX researchers, and product managers who you will regularly collaborate with to help our engineers do everything from effective prototyping to shipping production-ready products and systems.
A background in backend engineering, data, and/or cloud architecture would be a particularly strong fit to mentor the individuals you will manage. You will also have the opportunity to make a big impact on the culture and composition of our engineering team, including driving hiring processes with an aim to build a strong, high-performing, diverse, and inclusive team. We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, we'd love to talk to you.
Even though Swiftly's HQ office is located in San Francisco, CA, we are open to candidates in all locations across the U.S. as well as Ontario, Canada. At this time we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship. #LI-Remote
- Build empowered product teams that deliver successful outcomes
- Support strong goal-setting and mentorship for your direct reports to help your engineers achieve challenging but realistic goals and grow in their careers
- Drive inclusive and efficient interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of new engineers in collaboration with Swiftly’s VP of Engineering, People Team, and other Engineering Managers
- Manage sprint capacity planning in partnership with a Product Manager, ensuring our commitments are achievable and the team is held appropriately accountable
- Provide leadership and advocate for technical debt or architectural projects that will bring value, especially within the backend (Java), data, and/or cloud architecture functions
- Create collaboration channels across product teams to solicit feedback on technical designs, surface dependencies, and share learnings
- Emphasize our feedback culture, improving technical excellence by encouraging collaborative RFCs and facilitating retrospectives and postmortems to improve in a positive way
- Be hands-on as an individual contributor outside the critical path to develop understanding or our architecture and developer experience
- Create an environment where your direct reports are proud to work at Swiftly, as measured by employee retention and eNPS scores
You’ll be a good fit if...
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do
- You have previously managed multiple direct reports who grew under your management
- You've previously worked on a great team and are passionate about building great teams
- You have a strong track record cultivating high-performing teams that deliver reliably on ambitious but feasible goals
- You seek to empathize with your direct reports -- understanding in-work and out-of-work stressors -- to help each report achieve their full potential while ensuring the broader team is successful
- You have experience interviewing and closing strong talent for engineering roles with a focus on diversity and inclusion, quality, and speed in the hiring process
- You have experience supporting a product development organization where the goal is for product, design, and engineering to work together on product teams as equal partners
- You have an eye toward helping teams deliver software incrementally
- You have experience designing cloud-native systems or data-intensive applications
- You are a flexible problem-solver and know how to coach individuals through change
- You are a dynamic team player and seek to make valuable contributions wherever it is most-needed at any given time
- You embrace a growth mindset both for yourself and your fellow teammates. At Swiftly, we recognize that technology is always changing and requires continual learning. You love learning and helping those around you grow
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401k with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Home office setup reimbursement
- Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
- Monthly Education Reimbursement
- Flexible PTO
- Flexible work environment
- 16 paid holidays - including holidays in months without US national holidays in 2022
- 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you're passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
As a tight-knit company where we have the utmost concern and care for our team members, Swiftly has adopted a mandatory COVID vaccination policy.
This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.
We will not require any candidates to be vaccinated in order to interview for our open positions, but all new hires at Swiftly will be required to share a copy of their vaccination certification or present documentation to request an exemption.
In compliance with the EEOC, any team member in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief must provide Swiftly People Ops with appropriate documentation. For a medical exemption, we require a doctor’s note, and for a religious exemption, we require a note from the team member outlining the request.
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.