Director of Engineering
The Movement Cooperative · Remote (USA)
Do you want to ensure that progressive organizations have access to the best possible data, technology, and technical expertise? We know movement organizing and advocacy are more urgent than ever and many organizations and activists cannot easily access the tools to scale their work.
Launched in 2018, The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a nonprofit founded with the aim of creating a cooperative community addressing these structural challenges. Currently, our membership stands at nearly 75 national member organizations and 500 state-based organizations covered under our licenses. We leverage the collective purchasing power of our membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support our members in their work. TMC is also a member cooperative -- our board is elected by and made up of our member organizations.
Do you want to support a mission-driven organization that aligns your philosophical and professional passions? The Director will split their time as an individual contributor, in addition to serving in a leadership capacity by both managing the engineering team and joining the organization’s Leadership Team. The Director of Engineering will support and report to the Chief Technology Officer of TMC.
- Strategically determine a long-term vision for TMC’s technical systems, including core capacities, in addition to movement partnerships
- Manage resources, staff, and budget for the efficient work of the engineering team, while maintaining a supportive and evolving team
- Contribute to the ongoing technical work of the team, which includes data engineering, product planning, and/or software development
Experience & Education:
- 5+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- Deep familiarity with Python and SQL
- Experience architecting and maintaining complex environments made up of both custom-built applications and third party applications
- Comfort with data storage, data warehouse, task automation offerings and managing containerized orchestration (e.g. S3, Redshift, BigQuery, EC2, Kubernetes) on at least one of AWS, Azure, or GCS
- 2+ years managing technical teams and/or projects
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to lead and motivate teams, guide others without direct authority, and influence organizational leadership to collective success
- Interest in overseeing and guiding engineering work that ranges from data engineering to full-stack web development
- Ability to coach and mentor engineers, including those who may have more or less content experience than oneself
- Dedication to furthering the reach and impact of TMC members' work
- Superior verbal and written communication, excellent presentation skills, and the ability to articulate complex concepts across varied functional audiences, including funders
We especially encourage applications from people who have any of these additional qualifications:
- Experience working on campaigns, electorally-focused, or advocacy organizations
- Comfort with a fully remote work environment
- Experience with common open source software packages used for ETL/ELT including dbt, Airbyte, Parsons, etc.
- Experience contributing to or robust participation in an open source community
- Experience building technical documentation
- Experience with the product development lifecycle
Prolonged periods of working on a computer
While a very young organization, The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to providing all employees a competitive salary, world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, unlimited paid vacation and sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid parental and adoption family leaves, and health and wellness benefits. The salary for this position is $130,000. This is a full-time exempt position.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing why you are interested in this role and your qualifications, in PDF format.
here’s what you can expect from the application process:
- Application Review
- Phone Technical Screening ~15-25 minutes
- Panel interview ~60 minutes
- Final interview with leadership ~ 30minutes
The Movement Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer.
The Movement Cooperative recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At The Movement Cooperative, we have a clear vision: to be the organization where a diverse mix of talented people want to be, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best to our members, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.