Assistant Director, Analytics
Oregon State University Foundation · Corvallis, OR
Reporting to the Director of Analytics & Information Systems, the Assistant Director of Analytics is responsible for leading the Foundation’s marketing analytics functions and ad hoc delivery by overseeing the queue of analytics requests, developing tools to streamline data access, and training customers on using data to inform business decisions.
The successful candidate will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the first day of employment.
The work location for this position is the Foundation’s Corvallis, OR office.
The Foundation offers a program called Core Work Days, a hybrid approach combining remote and in-office work days. Unless traveling for work, Foundation employees are in office on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and work remotely, if preferred, on Monday and Friday.
- Director of Analytics and Information Systems
- Directors of Digital Technology and Senior Director of Digital Marketing Strategy
- Advancement Services leadership team
- Other analysts
- Internal and external customers from other departments and campus
Measures of Success
- Create a collaborative culture by developing training programs and workgroups focused on customer service and continuous learning
- Ensure requests delivered meet service level agreements for timeliness and quality
- Develop innovative and agile analytic solutions which support organizational performance
- Increase the organization’s adoption and use of business intelligence in decision-making by employing business intelligence ‘best practices’
Customer Service and Analytics Delivery
- Serve as the point of contact for internal customers and University staff to determine their information needs; deliver requests within the expected timeline.
- Review analytics requests daily and consult with requesters regarding specifications, needs, and questions. Provide requesters with updates on the status and results of requests.
- Generate ad hoc and/or custom reports summarizing business data for review by decision makers and end users.
- Develop and document standard processes for delivering requests quickly and accurately.
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems with standard reports and analytic requests as needed.
- Ensure analysis complies with standard definitions of organizational data. Document and refine these definitions as needed.
- Maintain access, security, and practical use of delivered reports.
- Gather relevant data and conduct insight analysis to strategically increase data driven action and solutions.
- Develop and modify applications/software as needed or as directed by the Director of Analytics & Information Systems.
- Maintain and enhance analytics applications to best serve and produce standard reports.
- Support systems, applications and databases accessed by OSU Foundation.
- Identify analytics system issues or issues with the database infrastructure.
- Coordinate with Data Operations to ensure accuracy and accessibility of data loads.
- Recommend enhancements to improve efficiency of existing programs and analytics infrastructure.
- Utilize version control to maintain integrity of source code and provide backup when needed.
- Train colleagues in the use of data and standard reports to inform decisions. Continually evaluate and improve our training program.
- Create and maintain a procedure manual, training material and other resource documents to assist end-user adoption and use of analytic tools.
- Ensure delivered reports comply with our information security guidelines and customers understand their responsibilities with the data provided.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Comprehensive knowledge of:
- Data structures, SQL, relational database design
- Data pipelines and orchestration
- Principles and processes for providing customer and personal service. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for service, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- Programming protocols, client/server, database and web-based technologies and comprehension of technical and vendor documentation
- OSU Foundation and OSU business rules necessary to process and generate analytics to best serve the needs of the organization and ensure alignment with core business needs
- System and application skills required and necessary to perform core duties
Proven skill in:
- Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes
- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Monitoring/assessing performance to make improvements
- Strong communication and presentation skills, an ability to tell a story through data, even to a non-technical audience, and drive strategic decisions and initiatives
- Attention to detail
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems
Demonstrated ability to:
- Be aware of, control, and express one's emotions appropriately, and to handle interpersonal relationships maturely, thoughtfully and empathetically, including the ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Work independently, manage time effectively and efficiently
- Quickly develop prototype design and iteratively refine work
- Work occasional evening and weekend hours, and occasionally work on a “stand by” basis
Bachelor’s degree and three years of analytics experience. Preference will be given for possessing experience or knowledge of the following technologies: DBT, Snowflake, SQL Server, Microsoft Dynamics, and Tableau, and to individuals with supervisory experience. Education and experience equivalencies will be considered.
We strive to be one of the best places to work in the country. We know that our success depends in large part on the people who carry out our mission. It’s what we do –and how we do it -- that makes the difference. Our core values reflect our approach to work and to each other, and we are committed to conduct consistent with these values.