Platform Engineering Manager
Swiftly · Remote
Human Rights & EqualityPosted 4 weeks ago
Continuous Integration (CI/CD)
Swiftly is a mission-driven company and a big data platform for transportation. The platform weaves data analytics, intuitive visualizations, and real-time predictive technologies into applications that drive smarter decisions for public transit agencies. Today, over 7,000 transit professionals in over 110 cities across the globe use Swiftly to improve transportation for over 1.7 billion passenger trips per year.
Engineering at Swiftly
Engineering at Swiftly is not only about writing code – we believe in creating empowered product teams that work together to conceptualize new features and bring them to life. Each team aims to strike a balance between delivering incremental improvements, creating prototypes to test new ideas and mitigate risks, and building scalable software using industry best practices. We’re guided by a mission to positively impact transit riders, and we embrace humility and intentionality in how we make technical decisions so that we best meet our customers’ needs.
About the Role
Swiftly is seeking a Platform Engineering Manager who will play a pivotal role in supporting our rapidly growing Product organization. At Swiftly, the role of Engineering Management is to build collaborative, self-sufficient, results-driven product teams while supporting growth of direct reports. As Platform Engineering Manager, your team will build the platform software, services, and infrastructure that empower our product teams to deliver scalable, highly-available software quickly. Your team’s work will infuse a DevSecOps culture across our teams with a goal of enabling our organization to deliver on company objectives with low friction.
We encourage you to apply if you meet half or more of the requirements and are excited to learn about the rest. Above all else, we value candidates who have a positive attitude and the aptitude to learn the requisite skills. We know the tech landscape is ever-changing and strongly support individual growth. If this is exciting to you, we'd love to talk.
Even though Swiftly's HQ office is located in San Francisco, CA, we are open to candidates in all locations across the U.S. as well as Ontario, Canada. At this time we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship. #LI-Remote
- Build a platform roadmap in partnership with our Architect aligned with our engineering and product visions
- Set impactful quarterly OKRs for the platform team
- Ensure the platform team is supported in managing the day-to-day from goal, to epic, to user story, ensuring our commitments are achievable and the team is held appropriately accountable
- Work hands-on with your team, both to make technical contributions and to mentor individuals on the team to achieve goals and grow in their careers
- Provide architectural leadership and evangelize a DevSecOps mentality across the organization, sharing training and resources that enable teams to design high-quality software and manage their own software and infrastructure successfully
- Own measuring and reporting on the engineering KPIs to the VP of Engineering and Executive team
- Drive inclusive and effective interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of engineers in collaboration with Swiftly’s VP of Engineering, People Team, and other Engineering managers
- Create an environment where your direct reports are proud to work at Swiftly, as measured by employee retention and eNPS scores
You'll be a good fit if...
- You are excited to be part of a mission-driven company. Regardless of your why, it is important that you care about the work we do
- You have a background in both software and platform/site reliability engineering, as your team will work on a mix of infrastructure and services
- You have previously managed multiple direct reports who grew under your management
- You have several years of experience building cloud-native architectures (AWS preferred) and understand software architecture patterns such as microservices and serverless
- You’ve built and managed systems for CI/CD, infrastructure automation (e.g. terraform), deployments, metrics/monitoring, and alerting
- You’ve worked with a variety of data infrastructure including relational databases, data warehouses, and data streaming platforms
- You have a strong track record cultivating high-performing teams that deliver reliably on ambitious but feasible goals
- You are a dynamic team player who is excited to collaborate cross-functionally to make valuable contributions to Swiftly
- You embrace a growth mindset both for yourself and your fellow teammates. At Swiftly, we recognize that technology is always changing and requires continual learning. You love learning and helping those around you grow
- You’re open to receiving feedback (a core Swiftly value!), approach technical debates with humility, and participate in blameless postmortems when things go wrong
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401k with Employer Match
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Home office setup reimbursement
- Monthly cell/internet reimbursement
- Monthly Education Reimbursement
- Flexible PTO
- Flexible work environment
- 16 paid holidays - including holidays in months without US national holidays in 2022
- 8 fully paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
Don’t just hit the apply button. We want to hear more about you. Tell us why you're passionate about our mission and what interests you about Swiftly!
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
As a tight-knit company where we have the utmost concern and care for our team members, Swiftly has adopted a mandatory COVID vaccination policy.
This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.
We will not require any candidates to be vaccinated in order to interview for our open positions, but all new hires at Swiftly will be required to share a copy of their vaccination certification or present documentation to request an exemption.
In compliance with the EEOC, any team member in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief must provide Swiftly People Ops with appropriate documentation. For a medical exemption, we require a doctor’s note, and for a religious exemption, we require a note from the team member outlining the request.
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.