Energetic Insurance · Boston, MA
Poverty Alleviation & Economic Development
Clean EnergyPosted 2 weeks ago
You want to use your tech skills to help fight climate change. You are eager to learn new skills as you master the intersection of renewable energy, finance, technology, and insurance. You are looking to grow professionally and aspire to lead projects and become the company expert in multiple technology-related areas. You are interested in working with a small, passionate, collaborative, and energetic team that is using novel financial products to deploy renewable energy.
About Energetic Insurance:
Energetic Insurance develops novel risk management solutions to unlock exponential growth in renewable and distributed energy. Our flagship product enables financing of commercial solar projects.
We are a fast-paced venture-backed startup that recently closed a Series A fundraising round with participation from strategic venture capital investors from the finance, energy, and insurance sectors. We are backed by SCOR, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, as well as Schneider Electric Ventures and MS&AD Ventures.
Our company is scaling rapidly; we’ve reached $80M in insured value across 12 states and over 160 projects, are working with multiple financial institutions, and are exploring new products and geographies. Our team doubled in size in Q4, and we will continue hiring heavily in 2022.
In the role of Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, prototyping, and implementing new analytical tools for Energetic Insurance and improving existing analyses and code.
The vast majority of the work will be using the R programming language.
Sample projects include
- Enhancing and improving our core risk models to price risk for new and innovative insurance products
- Enhancing the user experience for those using these tools (our underwriters), including conveying data in dashboards
- Analyzing electricity and energy markets to help drive pricing and product decision making
- Collaborating with internal teams to improve usability and user experience of analytics tools
- Organizing and contributing to data pipelines and working with relational databases
- Developing and testing new software features, tools, and models for developing new products
- Maintaining existing tools and models, collecting user feedback from internal Underwriting team on existing risk and pricing tools, and making updates as necessary
- Assisting underwriting team with deal-specific quantitative analysis
- Identifying and evaluating publicly available and proprietary data sets, gathering data, and ETL
- Adhering to software engineering best practices for documentation, version control, design, and deployment
- Navigating and maintaining internal databases
- Collaborating with other teams across Energetic
An ideal candidate will
- Desire on-the-job learning both in technical skills and subject matter
- Learn both independently and collaboratively
- Solve problems by looking at "the big picture" and use tools on-hand
- Know basic software design/architecture
- Have strong written and oral communication skills
- Excel in documentation, attention to detail, organization, developed oral/written communication skills
- Effectively multi-task
- Want to apply your technical skills in a fun, exciting, fast-paced, environmentally-focused start-up environment
- Bachelor's degree in lab or social science, computer science, mathematics, engineering, or other related field or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with a programming language - examples R, Matlab/Octave, Python, C/C++, C#/Java, Excel, Microsoft VBA, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct analyses and work with data
- Understanding of modeling concepts
Why this role is so unique:
You will integrate and communicate with the entire company. You will work collaboratively and directly with end-users while bringing your products to life and seeing the impacts of your work. You will have fun, learn a lot, be well-supported, and have a positive impact each day.
Competitive salary and incentive pay commensurate with experience.
Boston preferred. Hybrid or remote options will be considered for strong candidates.
Energetic Insurance is dedicated to building a diverse workforce as we grow and scale. We strongly encourage and invite women and people of color to apply.