Senior Front-End Engineer – MethaneSAT, LLC
Environmental Defense Fund · Remote - US
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite—MethaneSAT—to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.
Our UIs and tools must present complex scientific data in ways that allow both the regulator and citizen scientist alike to truly understand and act on it. This will involve flexibility in querying our dataset, merging it with other datasets and on-the-fly aggregations to drive change.
The Senior Front-End Software Engineer will be critical in the design, build and implementation of the Data Platform UIs, serving an array of audiences with different needs, along with internal users working deeply with our dataset.
Working across several organizations, the Senior Front-End Software Engineer will design and write software using best practices that meets the needs of our Data Platform Front-End and our broader project goals. The Senior Front-End Software Engineer will quickly become an owner of one or more critical UI features and expected to set direction and schedule enhancements of those features. Developing technical and domain expertise in those features and communicating about these features and their use outside the team is essential.
The Senior Front-End Software Engineer will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with the Front-End team, other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- Design and write software to create intuitive UIs and experiences, features and components.
- Collaborate effectively with varied stakeholders to help determine the requirements for several audience-specific initiatives.
- Take long-term ownership in the design and coding of critical UI features, setting technical direction and enhancement to meet requirements provided by the Product Team.
- Contribute to the engineering team regarding code quality, best practices, development workflow, test strategy and test coverage.
- Conduct code reviews, bug bashes and design reviews with the team. Research new technologies and work through system issues and the bug queue.
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively and leverage experience to determine the most effective design and recommendations.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. BS in Computer Science or technical discipline preferred plus 8 years professional experience.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder). MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time.
- 5 years professional software development experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope is required.
- Professional experience with Angular, React, Vue or another modern framework. Must be willing to use/learn React and Typescript.
- Demonstrated examples of leading the development of significant product features.
- Experience with handling many data points, managing multiple external services in a web client strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Some back-end development experience is strongly preferred.
- GIS experience is preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with Next.js, MUI (material-ui), deck.gl, Redux Toolkit, Storybook, Jest, and Testing Library is a plus but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically and independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team in a fast-paced work environment, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 110,000 - 141,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/senior-front-end-engineer-methanesat-llc
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.