Full-Stack Software Engineer
JustFund · Remote
JustFund was created by funders and organizers of color to remove traditional barriers in philanthropy and to simplify the grants application process for organizations working at the forefront of social change. Built to center equity in grantmaking, and designed as a tool that brings the principles of trust-based philanthropy to life, we are resetting how grantmaking works for those seeking and distributing funding.
We are a nonprofit startup at the intersection of technology and philanthropy, and we are transforming the way money moves to movements. We have moved nearly $150M to chronically underfunded communities through our unique technology and services and are on track to hit $250M by the end of 2022. Since Fall 2021, we have partnered with a US-based team of contracted engineers, who serve as our full-service engineering team providing critical software and product development services to JustFund. In addition to the three full-time developers, we have an in-house Product Manager who manages our relationship with the firm and leads the build out of new features aligned with our team’s OKRs. To learn more about JustFund, please visit us at: https://www.justfund.us/
About the Position
We are seeking a skilled and values-aligned Full-Stack Software Engineer to help us grow our existing application into a modern grantmaking technology platform. Working directly with our Product Manager and our contracted engineering team, you will be our first in-house engineer and will act as our technology expert, helping us make decisions impacting our technology stack. You will be responsible for developing our mission critical features and fixes, and helping us improve our quality assurance, performance and security processes. For this role, we are seeking someone who can both collaborate with an external team of engineers, as well as someone who can independently understand requirements, write high-quality code, and conduct problem-solving.
- Develop software solutions by evaluating requirements; studying systems flow, data models, and system integration points; considering mobile, accessibility, and usage at scale; and following the software development lifecycle.
- Optimize existing JustFund systems, applications, and technological infrastructure
- Develop effective solutions that are aligned with the customer's vision.
- Develop platform quality assurance processes
- Partner with the Product Manager to understand priorities, the desired solution requirements and capabilities.
- Collaborate with our contracted engineers to continuously improve software engineering practices, processes and services.
- Participate in planning discussions with technical and client stakeholders.
- Actively participate in product development sessions and agile release processes.
- Develop efficient and easy-to-follow technical diagrams, flowcharts, documentation, and high quality testable code
- 4+ years of work experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer, developing software in some backend language, ideally node (We have a MERN stack, with M=MySql).
- Experience with relational databases - ideally MySQL - SQL, and ORMs (we use Sequelize!)
- Familiarity with Jest/Mocha/Chai
- Familiar with design and architectures built for scale, speed, and security
- Experience with building digital products from early-stage to scaling and maturity
- Experience in, or a passion for, philanthropy, social justice organizing, advocacy, or movement building
- Prior experience in startups, or the ability to work and thrive in a more disruptive, fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques
- Strong and creative problem-diagnoses and problem-solving skills
- A strong self-starter who partners well with others
- Familiarity with Slack, Zoom and JIRA Cloud
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Experience developing APIs
- Experience with cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services
- Experience with analytics and CRM tools, such as Google Analytics, Tableau, Hubspot, HotJar, etc.
- An understanding of UX patterns and experience building intuitive UIs that clients will love
Total Compensation (Salary and Benefits)
The Full-Stack Software Engineer is a full-time position, and we offer a competitive and holistic total compensation package that includes salary and benefits. The annual salary budget for this position is $100,000 - $130,000 and will be commensurate with experience. All full-time staff are eligible for our benefits package including:
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- 401k plan
- Paid time off (including holidays and sick time)
- Wellness stipend
- Professional development stipend
- Cell phone and internet stipend
- Home office equipment allowance
- Access to professional development opportunities
How to Apply
Applicants should apply here by submitting their resume and cover letter.
JustFund is committed to having a values-driven, transparent, healthy, and collaborative culture. We invite you to learn more at our Careers Page. We review applications on a rolling basis, and look forward to hearing from you.
If the JustFund team can make the application process more accessible through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
Working With Us
This position is remote and will be regularly interfacing with US-based team members across multiple time zones.
At JustFund, we are committed to diversity, inclusion, and racial equity. JustFund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances. Our management team is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, access to facilities and programs, and general treatment during employment.