Software Engineering Manager - Digital and Technology Partners
Mount Sinai · New York, NY
Mount Sinai is accelerating a transition to a business and operating model oriented towards the changing demands of the healthcare industry. Success in this new model will require, among other things, an expanded focus on the consumer as well as on self-insured employers. One of the avenues through which Mount Sinai has sought to adapt to this new model is through the Commercialization business unit, which builds and operates health centers for large employers. Consumer Digital is an internal software development team that builds the differentiated digital experience for these health centers.
As a Software Engineering Manager for the group, you will get to work on a high-caliber team within one of the top health systems in the world. You will build and lead a product engineering squad through coaching, hiring, conducting 1:1’s and pair-programming. You will report directly to the Head of Engineering.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Team Collaboration: Work with the Head of Product, Product Manager, and Designer to turn requirements into beautiful, consumer-grade experiences. Attend daily stand ups and communicate with the Head of Engineering and Head of Product on roadmap and deliverables.
- People Management: Serve as the direct manager to a team of ~5-10 software engineers. Provide coaching, feedback, technical assistance, and encouragement. Recruit and hire software engineers, deliver performance reviews, and support their professional development.
- Domain Knowledge: Follow the market and the latest and greatest technologies being used to engage consumers and build great products. Know the relevant libraries and frameworks and be able to differentiate ‘hype’ from ‘game changer.’
- System Design: Understand cloud infrastructure and what components are in the toolbox and how to make them all work together in a unified product.
- Product Development: Build mobile-first web applications and native mobile applications. Be able to provide estimates and deliver high-quality output on-time and in-budget.
Engineering Professional: We are looking for a Software Engineering manager with 6+ years of experience building products for web and mobile applications. We want someone with consumer experience, where real customers and external users have used the products you developed, and those products have then scaled up in terms of volume of transactions, interactions, features, etc. A Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent college degree is preferred.
Leadership Experience: Experience leading high-performing teams of software engineers, including:
- At least 3 years of experience in an engineering management role with direct reports; at least 1 year of experience leading a team of at least 3 engineers.
- Ability to conceptualize and develop processes to improve the efficiency and productivity of the software engineering team.
- Ability to plan, architect, and work collaboratively on the development of multi-tiered enterprise software with a team of developers.
Technical Acumen: Strong foundational engineering skills and demonstrated ability to maintain an active mastery over the newest development platforms, methodologies, and architectures through self-directed research and education. At a minimum, the ideal candidate will exhibit the majority of
- Fluent in Database systems: SQL (Postgres) and NoSQL (Mongo, Dynamo/DataStore)
- Fluent in web and security tech: APIs, DNS, Https, Logins, SSO, OAuth
- Experience with Cloud Infrastructure AWS or Google Cloud, unix systems, Docker
- Experience with Github or other source control system using feature branches and sprints
- Bonus if experience in mobile native using Flutter or React Native, iOS Swift, or Android
- Bonus if experience in UI component library like Material UI, or Blueprint
- Bonus if experience in tracking tools like Segment, Google Analytics, Hotjar, etc.
- Bonus if experience with visualization library like D3.js or Google Charts
- Bonus if experience with GraphQL and data schema focused APIs
- Customer-Focused: Put yourself in the shoes of the customer, a patient needing help. Build the system you would want for you or your family during a time of need.
- Pathfinder: Nothing beats a relentless desire to innovate despite all obstacles. Hustle and find a way.
- Curiosity: Never stop learning. Challenge ideas and look at the data. “The capacity to learn is a gift. The ability to learn is a skill. The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert
- Opinionated: Bring innovative ideas to the table. Don’t be afraid to be wrong, and know how to have a professional, best-ideas-win debate. Collaborate and work together to refine.
- Passion: Empathy with a bias for action to make an impact on healthcare. Love what you do.
- High Standards: Iterate. Do not settle; great products are made in the last 10% of polish. We are building consumer grade experiences for people in need of healing, and they deserve the best.
- Ownership: Demonstrate follow-through on whatever you do. Take on any task necessary to help.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion are key drivers for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education, and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together. We invite you to participate actively as a part of the Mount Sinai Health System team by:
- Using a lens of equity in all aspects of patient care delivery, education, and research to promote policies and practices to allow opportunities for all to thrive and reach their potential
- Serving as a role model confronting racist, sexist, or other inappropriate actions by speaking up, challenging exclusionary organizational practices, and standing side-by-side in support of colleagues who experience discrimination
- Inspiring and fostering an environment of anti-racist behaviors among and between departments and co-workers
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people and to create an inclusive, welcoming and nurturing work environment where all feel they are valued, belong, and are able to professionally advance. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, contribute to the patient experience and quality of patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our history!
Who We Are
Over 42,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) provides equal employment opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, veteran, immigration, citizenship, or other protected status.
EOE including Veterans and Disabled