Propel · US Remote
At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers here. Now we’ve expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans.
We’re in search of an Engineering Manager who will foster a collaborative and psychologically safe engineering culture that values quality and forward-progress. We’re looking for someone who is empathetic, a skilled facilitator, and enjoys team building! We want someone who is excited about championing our efforts around hiring, building, and developing a diverse engineering team as our product continues to scale.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
- An immediate opportunity to make an impact on our growing team
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- A remote first work environment with a dog-friendly office in Downtown Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $180,000 - $220,000 depending on experience. Level is determined based on experience and our interview process. Equity and excellent benefits come with this position as well!
What you’ll do:
- Manage and coach 5-8 engineers and help them advance in their careers
- Develop team level processes to foster consistency and collaboration in our remote-first company culture
- Help sustain efficient cross functional collaboration between engineering, product, design, and data and be an advocate for change in the system when necessary
- Ensure smooth onboarding for new engineers and help a growing team iterate on the process
- Support our hiring process when necessary through sourcing, screening, and interviewing
What you have:
- 3+ years of experience managing engineers of various levels in a start-up remote first environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience designing and developing web or mobile applications especially Fintech or consumer products
- Passion for making a difference in the lives of our users
- Experience managing a hiring funnel and crafting an interview process is a plus
- Experience with or knowledge of government services, particularly safety net services like SNAP, WIC, TANF, SSI, SSDI, Medicaid, Section 8, is a plus
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team, and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.