Managing Director of Technology
KIPP DC Public Schools · Washington, DC
About KIPP DC Public Schools
By 2025, KIPP DC will build upon two decades of proven results to develop into a more impactful, innovative, and inclusive school system that provides joyful, identity-affirming learning experiences so that all students and alumni achieve extraordinary outcomes.
Our work is grounded in a commitment to excellence, equity, and justice. We believe all students have the right to rigorous, relevant, and joyful learning experiences led by exceptionally talented and diverse educators who promote student achievement and a sense of belonging. We believe students and teachers best succeed when surrounded by an ecosystem of supports, including our central headquarters team that supports KIPP DC’s 20 schools, 7,300 students, and 1,300 teachers, leaders, and staff members dedicated to this mission.
KIPP DC’s multimillion dollar technology program supports over 8,500 users and over 20,000 devices (e.g., laptops, desktops, tablets, etc.) spread across 20 schools, KIPP DC headquarters, and students’ homes. As a senior leader on the Information Team, the Managing Director of Technology is responsible for overseeing the full gamut of technology operations at KIPP DC, ensuring that the instructional and operational technology needs of our schools and headquarters are met, and driving the strategic vision for the growth and sustainability of technology at KIPP DC. This position manages a sizable team at KIPP DC, including our technology support staff, personalized learning team, and the more senior technology leaders in the organization, and the growth and development of this team will be a critical facet of this position’s success at KIPP DC.
The Managing Director of Technology role is an exempt position and will report to the Vice President of Information.
Strategic Vision for Technology (20%)
- Drive the strategic vision for and oversee the long-term implementation and maintenance of KIPP DC’s portfolio of technology hardware, network and voice infrastructure, IT and instructional software, and network security
- Direct the establishment of, adherence to, and evolution of KIPP DC’s policies and procedures regarding technology in the organization
- Track industry best practices and innovative solutions from other districts or organizations that may be used now or in the future to further grow and evolve technological policies and practices at KIPP DC
Team Management (20%)
- Oversee the technology operations, technology support, and personalized learning teams
- Directly manage the senior director of technology and the director of personalized learning, and own KIPP DC’s relationship with our technology vendors and consultants (including Dynamic Network Solutions)
- Create a professional development plan for all members of the team to increase their capacity, technical knowledge base, and soft skill growth
- Ensure that the technology team is successful in meeting the day-to-day and long term needs of the organization, including the support needs for our staff, students, and families
- Supervise and guide external consultants or vendors as they execute technical projects or troubleshoot technology systems
- Identify opportunities and lead the change management process to establish the technology team as collaborative and school-centric, supporting partnerships across the organization
- Lead the development of robust project plans for substantial technology projects and initiatives (including timeline, scope, budget), with the aim of building out scalable technological solutions that meet identified user needs in a cost-effective manner; communicate these plans to appropriate stakeholders or other team leaders
- Direct, support, and/or enable technology project teams to complete projects and initiatives by leading meetings, overcoming obstacles, and driving work forward to ensure milestones are met
Technology Procurement, Budget, and Asset Management Practices (20%)
- Direct the technology procurement process from start to finish, including determination of school and organizational needs, vendor relationships and evaluations, budget management, and contract negotiations.
- Own the IT and instructional technology budgets, and provide guidance for school budgets to ensure efficiency and preservation of assets
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with tech vendors, consultants, and suppliers
- Oversee KIPP DC’s E-rate application and use of E-rate funds, and lead efforts tied to additional funding opportunities in technology
- Oversee the full scope of KIPP DC’s technology asset management, including: ensuring that all technology purchases for goods and services are consistent with KIPP DC needs, policies, and practices; tracking all such purchases and the receipt of technology assets; and ensuring that all equipment is properly inventoried or surplused consistent with regulations
Personalized Learning and Instructional Technology (15%)
- With the director of personalized learning, support KIPP DC’s capacity in using and incorporating our instructional technology and educational software in our core instructional programming to differentiate and enhance student learning
- Ensure that our personalized learning work is aligned with and supported by the broader technology initiatives and practices around classroom hardware, network infrastructure, and collaboration with schools and other subteams on the information team
End-User Technology Support (15%)
- Oversee, evaluate, and ensure strong customer service and support from the technology team and school-based tech associate team for end-user hardware, software, printers and servers, and other school-based or home-based technological platforms, including timely resolution, ticket escalation, and customer satisfaction
- Oversee high-quality, accessible training on systems, hardware, and software (with the director of personalized learning) for all school-based and headquarters-based staff
- Define service level agreements with technology vendors and monitor their adherence to those agreement to hold them accountable to a customer-focused orientation and goals
- Oversee the authorization of permissions and individual access to technology applications or services for the purpose of ensuring proper access to technology systems by staff, students, parents and others consistent with district operating guidelines and regulations
Infrastructure Administration (10%)
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of all technology architecture, including network, servers, voice, intercom, surveillance and alarm, workstation, connectivity, backup, and information security
- For hosted services, ensure ongoing server maintenance to maximize bandwidth, connectivity, uptime, and speed
- Direct the administration and maintenance of KIPP DC’s Active Directory, including distribution lists, mailboxes, message routing, and storage, file permissions, etc
- Oversee information security, backups, and content filtering
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a field appropriate for this position (Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science, Systems Management, Educational Technology or other equivalent disciplines)
- 8-10 years of professional work experience required; minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in the development, installation, and maintenance of information systems
- 5+ year experience managing people, preferably in an IT environment
- Experience in the K-12 sector, particularly with personalized learning platforms and instructional classroom technology, is strongly preferred
- Setup and operational knowledge of all major device platforms
- Strong understanding and experience setting up, configuring, and managing network components (voice & data)
Ideal Candidate Traits
- Exceptional organization and project management skills
- Demonstrated integrity, both in words and actions, and a proven history of ethical behavior and decision making
- Excellent communication and leadership skills, with the ability to work collaboratively across an organization
- Self-starter with ability to multitask, establish and rearrange priorities, and maintain focus in a fast-paced environment
- Relentless passion for troubleshooting and solving problems
- Ability to convey complex technical concepts and solutions to broad audiences
- Unwavering determination to do whatever it takes to help our students succeed
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion principles, in managing the technology team and in working with the rest of our organization and with our families
Please submit an online application through our website at https://www.kippdc.org/join-our-team/ . If you have any questions, please direct them to our recruitment team via e-mail at [email protected] Applicants are encouraged to apply early as the start date for this position is immediate. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
KIPP DC Public Schools does not discriminate against, or tolerate discrimination against, employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis or protected class including, but not limited to, actual or perceived race, color, national origin, immigration status (except as necessary to comply with federal, DC, state, or local law), religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity or expression), marital status (including domestic partnership status), genetic information, political affiliation, pregnancy, family responsibilities, personal appearance, veteran status, uniform service member status, status of being unemployed, status of victim a survivor of domestic violence, sexual offense or stalking, matriculation or any other protected class under federal, state, DC, or local law.
KIPP DC requires all staff to provide proof that they are up to date on their COVID-19 vaccine (meaning they have received a full course of a COVID vaccine and receive a booster, when they are eligible) or obtain approval for exemption due to medical or religious reasons before beginning employment. New hires who have not received all doses of a COVID vaccine, who are eligible for a booster but have not received it, or who are awaiting approval for exemption will not be able to begin employment.