Head of Engineering at Scaling Social Enterprise
MovingWorlds · Remote
Get in early at a cash-flow positive and scaling social good startup, and help us accelerate our growth and impact by leading the engineering on our current platform, developing our technical strategy for the future, and leading our growing tech team.
We’re an award-winning and scaling social business that is helping build a more sustainable, just, and equitable economy and planet. We operate a global platform that connects social enterprises with corporates, peers, learning content, and a global community of pro bono professionals to deliver market-based solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals.
In 2021, we were ranked as a Fast Company World Changing Idea, and in 2022, we received an award from Escape the City as the #1 Best Company to Work For.
Job Description & Impact
We are looking for someone that loves building software for the web and wants to use these skills to help MovingWorlds grow its impact and revenue.
You’re the perfect candidate if you love writing code and want to (1) keep writing code; (2) Use your knowledge of emerging technology to build a plan to scale our system for its next generation, and (3) Spend time developing and supporting other team members earlier in their engineering careers.
As we are at an exciting growth point and this role will be responsible for both execution and strategy.
Your primary tasks will include:
- Plan and lead the team to build our next-generation platform
- Lead the design of technical architecture and infrastructure
- Write and maintain clean, scalable code, including performing code reviews for team members
- Align technological strategy and resources with the organization’s short and long-term goals
- Support the evolution of the product roadmap by completing feasibility analysis and technical design for new product features
- Lead and grow the skills of people on the technical team
Skills and experience
We are looking for a software engineering lead with a proven understanding of core computer science concepts and leadership to lead our technical strategy, execution, and technical team.
Currently, MovingWorlds uses the following suite of tools. While we don’t expect you to have experience with them all, previous experience in website coding frameworks and API integration is a must:
Core platform technology
- A custom web application built on NodeJS (HAPI) with a PostgreSQL database and Redis cache
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Route53, RDS, ElastiCache, EC2, S3, VPC stack
- GIT Source Code repositoryBootstrap + JQuery frontend engine (Jade/Pug templating engine on the server side), SCSS/Gulp for CSS packing
- Content Management System (CMS) - Contentful + custom code
We’re growing as an organization, but we stay focused on making sure we care for ourselves and each other, too. Any of our new team members will tell you that we’re different… open, vulnerable, transparent, collaborative, very growth-minded, and a little goofy. Here are a few more tangible benefits of joining our one-of-a-kind team:
- Transparent salary model for pay equity across the team
- Equity in the company
- Award-winning culture - we were ranked by Escape the City as the #1 company in the world to “Escape to”. We were founded to create a real impact AND operate in a highly ethical and sustainable way and we are committed to achieving both
- Friday Monthly Mental - No meetings on the last Friday of every month, so that you can do whatever you need to do to take care of your mental wellbeing
- Recognition of all holidays where you live
- 15 vacation days in addition to the monthly mental and local holidays + sick days as needed
- $100 per month work from home office stipend
- Health insurance plan/stipend that keeps increasing and improving as we grow
- Annual device credit
- A peer-coaching culture so that you can keep growing
- Parental leave policy
- Excellent communication across the company, including a “user manual” for every team member
- Networking opportunities with our global network
- Guided mentorship process to help you find and make the most of a mentoring relationship
- Retirement plan matching