Lead Product Designer
Nickels · Remote (USA)
Nickels is a high growth financial health start-up based in Ann Arbor, MI and is looking for a unique and savvy Lead Product Designer. We just received seed funding and are growing our team with our first full-time product position. This role will report directly to the CEO and will own the design of our product, Credit Card Coach. This includes visual design and user experience as well as having an outsized influence over the product roadmap.
Your work will help millions of consumers take control of their credit cards with a goal of helping cardholders eliminate the >$100B they’re charged annually in interest and fees on their credit card debt.
As our first full-time product team member, there's an enormous opportunity to have significant ownership over the product and accelerate your career. We’re looking for a designer first-and-foremost who is interested in having product influence beyond just the design.
- Product design: Lead product design for Credit Card Coach from early product definition of problems, leading user research, and scoping features to hi-fidelity designs and prototypes.
- Visual design and branding: Design and produce visual assets, collateral and brand identities.
- Product Priorities and Roadmapping: Work closely with our CEO to define a product vision and product priorities for enhancing the product over the next 12 months.
Key Attributes & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of product design experience in SaaS (or SaaS-like) businesses.
- Highly organized thinker and designer.
- Deep knowledge of best practices, trends in product design, and a demonstrated interest in continual learning.
- Generalist, T-shaped designer, which means you don’t have to be an expert at everything, but should be proficient in many facets of product design.
- Ability to conduct research with, empathize with and design for users who may come from a different financial background and/or level of financial literacy.
- Comfort working with mobile responsive web apps and websites.
- Experience in an Agile software development environment, partnering closely with engineers to incrementally build out and iterate on features.
- Interest in building a company and a product from the early seed stage, wearing multiple hats as needed, while comfortable prioritizing requests.
- Previously led and/or owned the design of specific products or projects.
- Advanced knowledge of Figma.
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy with experience documenting product vision and collaborating with engineers to define initial scope.
Nice to have:
- Interest in and willingness to guide the longer-term product roadmap.
- Experience building a design system including component design, documentation, colors choice, typography, etc.
- Experience with B2B2C products, understanding and addressing the needs of both our business customers and their end users that Credit Card Coach helps to support.
- Interest in the fintech space, particularly in creating tools and features to help users get out of credit card debt.
The ideal candidate does NOT need to be:
- Highly analytical or a spreadsheet expert.
- Comfortable speaking publicly in front of large crowds.
- A manager of people or teams (although that opportunity may present itself down the line).
- Technical in terms of software development engineering, understanding code, etc.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway! Along with an exceptional culture, we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, an entrepreneurial environment and the opportunity for phenomenal professional growth and development. Funded by world-class venture capital firms, Nickels is poised to improve the financial health of millions of Americans.