New Visions for Public Schools · Remote or New York, NY
The Portal by New Visions, an enterprise school management application, is growing our team of passionate people on a mission to improve equitable outcomes for all students in New York City. The Portal consolidates essential student data into a modern web interface, surfacing key indicators related to student progress. The Systems, Data Analytics, and Research team (SYSDAAR) team builds and maintains web applications that respond to educator needs and supports school leaders in effectively integrating data and technology to monitor and support the progress of nearly one million students throughout the City.
The problems we are solving are challenging and interesting and our solutions have an immediate impact on students and staff at urban schools in NYC. We need a software engineer with 6+ years of professional software development experience to join our team. You will help build, test and maintain our school management platform built on Angular, Node.js, and MongoDB, supplemented by RXJS, Typescript, GraphQL, PostgreSQL, and other technologies. You will provide technical leadership and work closely with our software engineering teams to ensure that we form best practices globally around pattern consistency by putting in place structures, processes, and systems that ensure success is repeatable, consistent, and scalable. We are looking for someone excited about public service and the prospect of joining a fun and growing team in an open, collaborative, and diverse environment.
What You’ll Do
- Provide leadership around technical architecture and the establishment of robust design patterns
- Write clean, testable, scalable and well-documented code
- Proactively contribute ideas for new features and identify areas for improvement
- Develop a broad understanding of our existing code base and identify high-value refactors to improve code quality over time
- Systematically debug user and system reported problems across all environments
- Proactively identify potential problems, recommend solutions, and contribute to the implementation of fixes
- Participate in product requirement review and task sizing/estimation
- Provide leadership in the implementation of smart practices, protocols and technologies
- Provide leadership around team coding standards and code quality via code reviews, mentoring, and pairing
- Mentor other software engineers on the team
What We’re Looking For
- 6+ years of experience in a production software engineering environment
- 2+ years experience in a continuous software delivery environment (agile / kanban)
- A strategic and analytical thinker with a natural curiosity for investigating issues and communicating insights
- Detail-oriented with a commitment to code quality and accuracy
- Collaborative and team-oriented with a strong sense of collective responsibility
- Dedicated to continuous learning and skill-building
- Experience with:
- Angular, React, etc
- RESTful API development
- CSS / SCSS
- Typescript preferred
- NGRX preferred
- GraphQL preferred
We believe your best work can happen from anywhere. Our team supports fully remote positions as well as offers the option to join our hybrid model and sit alongside your colleagues in our midtown office. New Visions for Public Schools is an established 30 year partner to New York City public schools, who has continuously worked alongside key leaders to improve the quality of K-12 education in New York City.
To apply and read the comprehensive job description, check out our careers site:
New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that our people and teams should reflect the diverse communities we serve, and that our culture and internal structures should be inclusive and equitable for all prospective and current employees.