Embedded Software Engineer - Computer Vision
Numina · Remote
Make cities more responsive, so they are safer, healthier, and more equitable for the people who live in them.
Numina makes a hardware and software platform that uses computer vision to help urban planners and municipal governments design better (safer) streets and public places. We sense bicycle, pedestrian, and other street traffic, and convert this data into real-time intelligence — without surveillance — to enable all sorts of partners in automation, autonomy, and development in the public right-of-way. We are looking for passionate people who would like to join us as we pursue our shared vision of more responsive cities.
WHAT YOU WILL DO HERE
As our Embedded Software Engineer, you will lead software and system development for current and future Numina Sensors. You will work closely with our Hardware, Computer Vision, and Backend engineers to help maintain the current Numina sensor system, develop new features and products, and scale our network of globally deployed sensors. You will report to our Engineering Manager. As part of your role, you will:
Lead development of the Computer Vision pipeline embedded on Numina Sensors.
Write and deploy performant, robust, and reliable code to our network of sensors deployed around the globe.
Help run experiments and tune the performance and cost of Numina’s core Computer Vision systems.
Develop the architecture, code, processes, and system for the next generation of Numina sensors.
WHO YOU ARE
You have 4+ years of professional embedded software engineering experience. Like us, you value creativity, curiosity, and intellectual honesty, and you are committed to solving problems with us together as a team. Your desire to have a huge impact motivates you to join a small, incredibly productive team and do extraordinary things. You have the following skills and competencies:
- Proficiency in Python, C++, or Go
- IoT or Cellular networks and connected devices or sensors
- Experience with Linux kernel drivers, userspace drivers or low-level system software development
- Experience working with cameras, video codecs and processing
- Experience working with diverse computing hardware like GPUs, ASICs, or other co-processes
Additional experience that could be helpful:
- Good working knowledge of the core concepts in machine learning, computer vision, and deep learning
- Passion for walkable, bikeable communities or urban planning experience/background
- Experience talking to internal or external customers
WHO WE ARE
We strive to be a team of positive, open-minded, respectful, resilient, dedicated, accountable, logical, creative, and empathetic people. We spend our days building an amazing product that makes a real difference in the world. We are a remote-first, distributed team, with an optional office in Brooklyn, New York. We are committed to seeking and sustaining diverse perspectives on our team. We encourage women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and others from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are backed by investors including betaworks, Shasta Ventures, Elemental Excelerator, URBAN-X (MINI BMW), and accomplished entrepreneur-angels. Past projects have been supported by The Clinton Foundation, The Knight Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. We are a small, mission-driven company that is growing quickly. If you’d like to join our laser-focused and fast-paced team, we enthusiastically invite you to apply.
THINGS TO KNOW
- We’re a small team with lots to do, and there’s a good amount of context-switching. We expect people to be autonomous and drive their own work to completion.
- We’re scrappy and frugal. We’ve built our product at a sustainable pace and have always been pointed toward profitability.
- As a growing company and startup, work priorities may shift as customer or business requirements change. We strive to empower individuals with context and decision-making power to meet this need.