Senior Data Engineer
Unizin · Austin, TX/Remote (USA)
Unizin is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to expand the data architectures and data services that drive its Unizin Data Platform (UDP) product. The ideal candidate is experienced in building data pipelines, data services, and distributed/concurrent systems. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of building, optimizing, and even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives that support 13 of the largest Universities in the country, and impact over 1M students.
What you'll do
- Design and refine data models to express the world of teaching and learning, in collaboration with learning analytics research and administration.
- Build services that leverage queuing and stream processing to deliver near-real-time behavioral data, along with services that combine slower contextual data from disparate sources into a single model.
- Develop our existing “lambda architecture” based around Apache Airflow, Python, and Google BigQuery and PubSub.
- Design, plan, and build towards improved architecture; supporting more sophisticated features, greater scalability, greater development and testing speed, and less cost.
What makes you a great fit
- You love wrangling, processing, and analyzing data
- You love building new systems, and understanding and measuring existing systems
- You love collaborating with a variety of roles in the organization and feel connected to the outcomes of your work
- You are inspired by innovation, motivated by loosely-defined problems that provide ample room for experimentation, collaboration, and iterative development.
- Expert-level knowledge of streaming and batch ETL techniques
- Expert-level knowledge of SQL
- Expert-level knowledge of database models and storage; relational and non-relational
- Experience with Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Git
- Experience in building concurrent, distributed systems
Skills that will set you apart
- Apache Airflow
- Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with Apache Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, or similar tools
Unizin is a consortium of public research universities working together to accelerate and scale the digital transformation of their academic mission. We build products and services that make education more equitable and accessible for over a million students nationwide by collaborating to advance the use of digital content, data, and analytics in the context of learning.
Unizin is also a US-based, remote-only team of product, engineering, services, and supporting staff. We are fully funded by the investments of our membership for a sustainable mission to enable the next generation digital learning environments and ecosystem. We are a startup inside a collaborative of substantial scale and resources. Visit us at www.unizin.org.
Unizin is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Unizin is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or gender identity. Accommodations will be provided to any candidate with special needs requesting such.