Data Engineer I
BlueLabs Analytics · Washington, DC - Remote Possible
BlueLabs is a leading provider of analytics services and technology for a variety of industry clients: including government, business, and political campaigns. We help our clients optimize their engagements with individual customers, supporters, and stakeholders to achieve their goals. Simply put: we help our partners do the most good by getting the most from their data.
Today, our team of data analysts, scientists, engineers, and strategists come together from diverse backgrounds to share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. We’ve served more than 400 organizations ranging from government agencies, advocacy groups, political campaigns, and businesses. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in analytics, media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach-- serving a diverse set of industries, including the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and more.
About the Team
The BlueLabs Civic Technology practice revolutionizes the way government agencies use data to streamline operations, interact with citizens, and react to their biggest challenges. Our team develops deep expertise within the areas our clients care about most, then builds data analytics systems that create impact at scale. We work closely with internal government innovation groups, and build on the analytics methodology pioneered in e-commerce, advocacy, politics, and consumer finance.You will work on a fast-paced, impact-driven project team charged with intelligently improving the operations powering the policies and programs that hundreds of millions of Americans interact with on a daily basis. Our work builds the frameworks and infrastructure that allows agencies to deal with big public health challenges. We bring definition to challenging problems, creatively identify data sources, then design analytics that accurately measure impact and move the needle every day. We work in changing, ambiguous environments, so we embrace nuance, inclusivity, and complexity to deliver programs that work for the diverse groups of individuals who rely on us.
About the Role
As a Data Engineer I, you will help our project teams establish and maintain data pipelines for our client engagements. The Data Engineer I is critical to our client work which requires continuous improvement and prompt responsiveness to changing circumstances – particularly in handling data quality issues and adjusting the team’s end-to-end pipeline deployments. Your track record stepping into this role should reflect domain knowledge in data ingestion and transformation, including experience adapting to changing technologies and/or client priorities. In this role, you will:
- Establish and maintain data pipelines that regularly deliver transformed data to the team’s end-user facing tool
- Work closely with data analysts to identify and effectively respond to their specific needs
- Coordinate with the client, their stakeholders, and other contracting teams as needed in order to stand-up or respond to issues with data pipelines
- Write API endpoints to enable connectivity to end-user views
- Write data aggregation and transformation scripts to effectively respond to error handling, data features, and other tasks driven by our client’s priorities
- Help improve upon data forecasting logic
- Support established internal and client team best practices for data pipeline development, while considering key appropriate technology requirements and constraints
- Partner with DevOps engineers to deploy and troubleshoot Pipeline related tools, automations, and integrations
What we are seeking:
- Garnered 1+ years of experience working with data pipeline solutions
- Comfortability with distributed data processing tools (such as Spark, Hadoop, others)
- Experience processing data using scripting languages like python or R, or compiled languages like Java, C++, or Scala
- Experience designing data models that accounts for upstream and downstream system dependencies
- Experience working in modern data processing stacks using tools like Apache Airflow, AWS Glue, and dbt
- Experience with an MPP database such as Amazon Redshift, Vertica, or Snowflake and/or experience writing complex analytics queries in a general purpose database such as Oracle or Postgresql
- Advanced understanding of how to manipulate data using SQL or Python
- Experience delivering on client or project priorities that operate on a regular deployment schedule
- Ability to manage your individual priorities and comfortably context-switch between active development, client discussion, and issue response
- Effective communication skills when working with team members of varied backgrounds, roles, and functions
- Passion in applying your skills to our social mission to problem-solve and collaborate within a cross-functional, client-facing team environment
- The ability to successfully attain and maintain a Federal Public Trust background investigation that our government clients require; this includes a requirement that the individual has U.S. Citizenship or U.S. residency for three of the past five years
What recruitment looks like:
This individual selected for this position will be onboard no later than September 12, 2022. Our recruitment process will include an HR phone screen and a panel interview. During the interview process, you will be asked questions to describe your background and experience relevant to the position. This may include providing examples of projects you worked on, tools or applications you've used, and knowledge you have applied. We often look for explanations of "how or why" so it's helpful to have details ready.
What We Offer:
BlueLabs offers a friendly work environment and competitive benefits package including:
- Premier health insurance plan
- 401K matching
- Unlimited vacation leave
- Paid sick, personal, and volunteer leave
- 13 paid holidays
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
- Professional development stipend & tuition reimbursement
- Macbook Pro laptop & tech accessories
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) stipend for mobile device
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Supportive & collaborative culture
- Flexible working hours
- Remote friendly (within the U.S.)
- Pre-tax transportation options for commuting to our office in Washington, DC
- Lunches and snacks
- And more!
The salary for this position is $85,000 annually.
While we have an office in Washington, DC, we are open to considering candidates from within the U.S.
At BlueLabs, we celebrate, support and thrive on differences. Not only do they benefit our services, products, and community, but most importantly, they are to the benefit of our team. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, gender identities, marital status, religions, veterans statuses, disabilities and any other protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer, BlueLabs is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BlueLabs endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If an applicant believes they require such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, or has any questions or concerns, they should contact the Director, People Operations. BlueLabs participates in E-verify. EEO is the Law (Link to external DOL site)