Technical Support Engineer
Politics Rewired · Remote
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Politics Rewired is a collective of software developers and organizers building technology and mobilizing voters for the progressive movement. Hundreds of organizers - from local unions to presidential campaigns - rely on Rewired technology and expertise to build political power from the bottom up.
- Spoke Rewired, our peer-to-peer texting tool, is used by hundred of campaigns, unions, and movement organizations to send text messages to their supporters.
- Through Organizing Rewired, our expert organizers provide advisory services, build customized outreach strategies, and run full-service texting campaigns to help Rewired’s clients to do more thoughtful, more complex work.
- Assemble, a collaborative database product that will launch later this year, will allow organizers to share data, customize permissions, and build filters for stronger distributed organizing, outreach, and analytics.
Politics Rewired’s founders built the technology for Bernie 2020’s peer-to-peer texting program, which sent an unprecedented 260 million messages and helped redefine the possibilities for distributed organizing. Since then, we’ve grown to a team of 14, with members in New York, California, Massachusetts, and New Mexico. As a worker cooperative, we are democratically owned and managed, meaning decisions are made by consensus and profits are shared among members. We are at an exciting moment of internal growth, and we are looking to build out the team with people who are eager to help shape democratic business processes.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Rewired is looking to hire an analytical and creative problem solver as our Technical Support Engineer. The Technical Support Engineer will focus on our peer-to-peer texting product, Spoke Rewired, taking ownership of customer issues reported and seeing problems through to resolution. They will research, diagnose, troubleshoot and identify solutions to resolve system issues and will follow standard procedures for proper escalation of unresolved issues. The ideal candidate enjoys assisting people with software issues and is able to simplify technical concepts for a non-technical audience.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Serve as the first point of contact for clients when they are experiencing issues using Spoke Rewired
- Diagnose and troubleshoot issues, differentiating between user error, telecom challenges, and software issues
- Maintain procedural documents and reports
- Help deploy new software to strengthen our product and prevent future issues
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- 2-5 years of experience in a customer-focused position involving technical knowledge of a company’s products and services
- Comfort working in and assisting others through HelpScout, or equivalent customer support software
- Strong time-management skills and the ability to establish reasonable and attainable deadlines for resolution
- An interest in or experience with grassroots organizing and building the Progressive-Left
- Excitement about being a co-owner and cooperative member who participates in company decisions
Note: if you think you have what it takes to do the job, please apply even if you don’t meet every bullet above! Underrepresented candidates tend to apply to jobs only when they fit all of the stated requirements — don’t take yourself out of the running!
Rewired is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that the most impactful work—and the best work environments—include and foster a range of diverse perspectives. We highly encourage applications from all backgrounds, and don’t discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, class background, or otherwise. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at [email protected] with the subject line “Application Accommodation” to request such an accommodation.
We are 100% remote and have members in states across the US and in India. We are very flexible on work hours and are happy to accommodate different schedules and needs.
Base rate of $6.67k/month ($80k/year). Additionally, members receive shares of quarterly profit distributions when the membership votes to issue dividends. The salary is set at $80k because that’s what the current developers have decided allows them to live comfortably while spending our clients’ money responsibly and staying oriented towards the long-term growth and survival of the company. If this is an issue for you, let us know!
As a worker cooperative, Rewired’s members are actively involved in management decisions, from the people we hire to the benefits we offer. In addition to their daily task work, members have the opportunity to join company-building committees focused on a range of topics. Current committees include the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee (DEI), the Fun Committee, and the Client & Partnership Committee, among others, but we encourage members to propose new committees as needed. In addition, we have a number of employee resource groups (ERGs) including a BIPOC ERG, an LGBTQ+ ERG, and a Non-binary, Trans, and Women ERG.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, a short cover letter, and the name, email, and contact info for two past work references here. References can be a previous boss or co-worker, or someone that you’ve worked with on an organizing or open-source project with.