Site Reliability Engineer
Politics Rewired · Remote
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Politics Rewired is a collective of software developers and organizers building technology and mobilizing voters for the progressive movement. Hundreds of organizers - from local unions to presidential campaigns - rely on Rewired technology and expertise to build political power from the bottom up.
- Spoke Rewired, our peer-to-peer texting tool, is used by hundred of campaigns, unions, and movement organizations to send text messages to their supporters.
- Through Organizing Rewired, our expert organizers provide advisory services, build customized outreach strategies, and run full-service texting campaigns to help Rewired’s clients to do more thoughtful, more complex work.
- Assemble, a collaborative database product that will launch later this year, will allow organizers to share data, customize permissions, and build filters for stronger distributed organizing, outreach, and analytics.
Politics Rewired’s founders built the technology for Bernie 2020’s peer-to-peer texting program, which sent an unprecedented 260 million messages and helped redefine the possibilities for distributed organizing. Since then, we’ve grown to a team of 14, with members in New York, California, Massachusetts, and New Mexico. As a worker cooperative, we are democratically owned and managed, meaning decisions are made by consensus and profits are shared among members. We are at an exciting moment of internal growth, and we are looking to build out the team with people who are eager to help shape democratic business processes.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Rewired is hiring a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to help us keep the next generation of grassroots organizing tools for the Left running smoothly. The SRE will be responsible for keeping all user-facing services and other Rewired production systems running smoothly. As an SRE, you will be part of an on-call rotation, sharing responsibility for coverage from 8am ET - midnight ET 7 days a week. “On call” shifts are typically 8 hours, but we are flexible about trading shifts as needed, knowing that each of us has other obligations outside of work.
The ideal candidate for this role is a systems-oriented software developer that applies operational discipline and robust automation to our environments and codebases. This role will focus initially on our flagship offering, Spoke Rewired, but will transition to supporting Assemble as it nears production readiness.
Initial projects will include:
- Infrastructure automation with GitOps/ArgoCD and Kubernetes Operators
- Improving our monitoring and alerting with DataDog and PagerDuty
- Working with different product groups to develop SLAs and improve their reliability
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Be on a PagerDuty rotation to respond to SpokeRewired.com availability incidents and provide support for service engineers with customer incidents
- Use your on-call shift to prevent incidents from ever happening
- Run our infrastructure with Terraform, ArgoCD GitOps, and Kubernetes
- Monitor for and alert on symptoms, not just outages
- Document incident responses so they can be turned into repeatable runbooks and eventually into automation
- Improve the deployment process to make it as streamlined and boring as possible
- Design, build and maintain core infrastructure pieces that allow Rewired scaling to support hundreds of thousands of concurrent users
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Plan the growth of Rewired's infrastructure
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- 2- 5 years of experience with:
- TypeScript and (bonus!) PL/pgSQL
- Kubernetes, Terraform, or similar technologies
- Linux and the Unix Shell
- Experience thinking about systems - edge cases, failure modes, behaviors, specific implementations.
- Excellent organization and documentation practices
- Experience collaborating and communicating asynchronously
- An interest in or experience with grassroots organizing and building the Progressive-LeftExcitement about being a co-owner and cooperative member who participates in company decisions
Note: if you think you have what it takes to do the job, please apply even if you don’t meet every bullet above! Underrepresented candidates tend to apply to jobs only when they fit all of the stated requirements — don’t take yourself out of the running!
Rewired is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that the most impactful work—and the best work environments—include and foster a range of diverse perspectives. We highly encourage applications from all backgrounds, and don’t discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, class background, or otherwise. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at [email protected] with the subject line “Application Accommodation” to request such an accommodation.
We are 100% remote and have members in states across the US and in India. However, we will need this hire to work a regular 8-hour work day within the range of 6am ET to midnight ET.
Base rate of $6.67k/month ($80k/year). Additionally, members receive shares of quarterly profit distributions when the membership votes to issue dividends. The salary is set at $80k because that’s what the current developers have decided allows them to live comfortably while spending our clients’ money responsibly and staying oriented towards the long-term growth and survival of the company. If this is an issue for you, let us know!
As a worker cooperative, Rewired’s members are actively involved in management decisions, from the people we hire to the benefits we offer. In addition to their daily task work, members have the opportunity to join company-building committees focused on a range of topics. Current committees include the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee (DEI), the Fun Committee, and the Client & Partnership Committee, among others, but we encourage members to propose new committees as needed. In addition, we have a number of employee resource groups (ERGs) including a BIPOC ERG, an LGBTQ+ ERG, and a Non-binary, Trans, and Women ERG.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, a short cover letter, and the name, email, and contact info for two past work references here. References can be a previous boss or co-worker, or someone that you’ve worked with on an organizing or open-source project with.