Front End Engineer
Zipline · South San Francisco, CA
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building the first instant logistics system that serves all humans equally. Leveraging expertise in robotics and autonomy, Zipline serves tens of millions of people around the world.
Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
About You and The Role
Zipline’s Data team is responsible for powering data-driven decision making across the entire organization. In order for us to execute against our mission, we need to invest in designing and building tools that enable employees to explore, discover, and efficiently use our data.
Today, the Data team develops and maintains an internal web application that displays and visualizes log data from our drones and other hardware equipment in order to inform design, operations, and maintenance activities. We’re looking for an experienced and self-directed Front End Engineer with a passion for data visualization to join our team and help us take this tool to the next level by improving and expanding its functionality and design. With your help, we expect this tool to become a central hub for all data discoverability and exploration within Zipline. We also expect that as the company and our data grows, we’ll need your help building out other innovative tools to simplify and optimize data workflows, visualize information, and enable employees to more easily make decisions with data.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing and designing intuitive interfaces and data visualizations that power decision making. You will interact with employees across the organization to gather ideas and requirements and work closely with a collaborative team of data engineers, data scientists, software engineers, and product managers to take ideas from concept to reality. Our ideal candidate works well in startup environments and is comfortable wearing many hats to get the job done.
This is a unique opportunity to build web-based applications that will be used by the entire company. Doing this well will enable the organization’s ability to make more informed decisions, innovate faster, and serve our customers better.
What You'll Do
- Develop and maintain data-centric web applications that are highly scalable and dependable.
- Serve as a mentor on data visualization best practices and how to tell stories effectively with data.
- Partner with other members of our Data team and product managers to identify key use cases, define requirements, and develop user stories.
- Own the roadmap for developing web-based data tools and clearly communicate technology decisions and tradeoffs related to new features.
What You'll Bring
- 3+ years of professional experience in front-end development building scalable and performant front-end applications
- 2+ years of experience with data visualization libraries (e.g. D3.js, Chart.js, Highcharts)
- Strong understanding of data visualization best practices (bonus points for experience visualizing time series data)
- Strong understanding of responsive design, UX principles, and accessibility standards
- Experience working with Restful APIs
- Experience using Git for version control
- Ability to rapidly prototype and adjust to feedback
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong project management and communication skills
- Proven track record as an owner: someone who can take a concept and make it real
- Nice to have: Familiarity with AWS
- Nice to have: Familiarity with Kafka
- Nice to have: Familiarity with Snowflake or other cloud data warehouses
- Nice to have: Experience building time series data visualizations and tools for engineers
What Else You Need to Know
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Location: Remote-friendly role- Must be able to travel to South San Francisco (Headquarters) to work with stakeholders with some frequency (1-2 times quarterly max) and overlap working hours with both GMT and PST time zones.